Transitioning from Lease operator to my own authority... help needed

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Spinner1, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Spinner1

Spinner1 Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2018
    Thanks in advance for any help! I currently carry intermodal freight to the South Carolina port, Im leased to a carrier that offers me few options on what freight they have for me daily (usually in the $1.50 per mile range). They cover freight insurance, deal with the brokers/shippers etc & payroll deduct me for expenses as follows: (weekly) $7 IFTA, $40 bobtail ins, $55 plates, $10 ELD as well as a mediocre discoiunt on fuel. Recently a local manufacturer has opened its doors within a 1/2 mile of home, they'll SHIP intermodal 3-4 times weekly & RECEIVE from the same port 1-2 times weekly (for a total of 5-6 trips to the port weekly... I now carry once daily to the port at approx 425 paid miles daily). I've spoke to the ownership & they like me & want to do business with me, they've committed to having their freight forwarder call me to run numbers to see if we can do business. I'm a 1 truck operation and this business will book up all my hours for the week, i want this business but here's my problem... 1- I dont know what it takes to operate under my own authority, i dont know what the govt needs as far as a paper trail to be legal. (#1 is my primary fear & any and all detailed help is much appreciated!!) 2- i dont know what additional insurance is expected of me, i suspect the only additional insurance i need is freight insurance, however i dont know how much. Is this a question i ask the freight forwarder? 3- Payment... Ive heard horror stories about brokers/freight forwarders taking 60 days plus to settle on debts & i dont have the operating capitol to handle that kind of overhead. 4- What is a reasonable per mile rate to expect? (non HM freight, no touch, non reefer, non perishable... rolled aluminum at approx 20k lbs. thru non mountainous region). Are negotiations with freight forwarders ordinarily handshake agreements over the phone or is legally binding paperwork exchanged? Should i provide my own contracts to the freight forwarder or do they usually provide? If i should have my own contract is there a source online that I can obtain them? Most likely I've overlooked a question or 2, if i have please enlighten me. If i strike you as ignorant to this its because I am, please dont bother to tell me how dumb you may think i am, I would much rather be educated than humiliated, im trying to better myself & its not pleasant to get on here and expose my ignorance but im willing to do it to get ahead. Thanks again for any help!! If you're willing to have a lengthy conversation & dont want to take the time to type it all out i'll make myself available for a phone call at your convenience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    You you may want to post this question in the Intermodal section.

You will definitely have to apply for an scac code. Hopefully someone here knowledgeable about Intermodal will chime in.

But if you can't find the answers that you're looking for if it were me I would call the steamship line and ask them what is required for you to move a private customers Freight to them and what's required to move Freight from them to the customer. The incoming Freight comes through customs so I couldn't even imagine the paperwork or if there's any insurance requirement.

Sounds like it could be a good opportunity, but if it were me I would be prepared to completely walk away from them and run my authority in a different direction if needed. They could just be playing you for your naivete in trying to get a cheaper rate than what they have.

Also, if you get your Authority and you had some Freight with them and some Freight with other Brokers you spread your risk out. If You Haul for them everyday in and out and only for them and they decide not to pay you that could certainly put you under. Not to mention they know they have you completely by the you know whats.

Myself, I would be afraid of an all the eggs in one basket kind of scenario, so I would try to figure out how to spread the risk out.

I'm not saying this is what it is, but I've seen this very scenario play out over and over again with contractors. A builder will find someone that's working for one of the excavators working for him, and he'll tell that guy he likes him why doesn't he go in business he wants to do business with him. So the guy quits his job goes out and buys equipment goes to work solely for that particular Builder and next thing you know they are paying him at a rate that he can't survive but he doesn't know any better, and and then they're paying him very slowly getting him deeper in with them, and then eventually not paying him at all anymore and next thing you know all of his equipment gets sold off and now he's looking for a job to pay off all his debt. And the Builder got a whole lot of free work done.

Just something to think about.

I'd be curious to know what you need to due to haul that traits also.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Spinner1 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I'd try to get a handle on how much those loads will be paying before doing anything. Getting your own authority will take a minimum 4-6 weeks, and any insurance you have now will basically be scrapped and you'll have to get some very expensive coverage for new authority. We're talking 15-30 grand a year expensive. On top of the added expenses, you'll need to have some bookkeeping skills, do all of your own filing for everything, and have some cash reserves in the bank to cover operating expenses for the first month or two.

Spinner1 and brian991219 Thank this.
  5. Spinner1

Spinner1 Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2018
    My thoughts on the "all the eggs in one basket" run similar to yours... definitely a risky move. My answer to it really doesnt address it so much as work around that idea... Ive got 27 years as a driver with no tickets, no incidents/accidents... i've secured a couple of job offers from companies willing to lease my truck on in case of failure. I'm kind of ashamed of myself for having a plan to fail before i have a success plan tho. Thanks for pointing out the intermodal section on here, i didnt notice, i'll be doing that immediately, thank you

6. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Definitely find out the rates before you jump in. I just spent $700 for a years worth of liability I've not needed with my regular brokers to get my foot in the door with a local shipper only to find she's cut the rates she's offering me below what she offers her brokers.

I had a hat full of other brokers who require the same extra liability that I can now work with, so I'm not out anything other than a potential direct shipper with low rates who will have to get them up if she wants me to work with her.

Having your own authority is 100% better than running under someone else's. Hands down.

Do it

Spinner1 and 86scotty Thank this.
  7. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Ask the man who does it for a living.
    Spend the $45 and join ooida.
    I am not a big time life time fan of them. But when I had to make a similar major decision. There business service unit, has all the answers, paperwork, and even would do it all for me If I didn't want to do it myself.

Spinner1 and Dino soar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.