Transmission and auxiliary transmission

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by shmyreal, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Dirty Britches

Dirty Britches Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2018
    Again no one is talking about can position

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dirty Britches

Dec 1, 2018
    It’s all about driveline angles in the end. That’s why I made the comment earlier about Mack rears. They have less of an angle than other types. Simply because the carrier is pointed up.

4. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, I see what you’re saying. Yes a setback axle would provide a longer driveline because it would allow the engine to move further forward that I agree but axle position doesn’t change wheelbase which is my point. You mentioned turning radius, wheelbase is wheelbase. Turning geometry is a little different on a setback axle but that doesn’t change wheelbase.

stwik, Oxbow and Dirty Britches Thank this.
  5. Dirty Britches

Dec 1, 2018
    Wheelbase is wheelbase that you are correct on. A sb provides for a longer frame for additional equipment while trying to compensate for maneuverability by moving the axle back. That’s what I meant. Whether I said that or not.

6. johndeere4020

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes that why I preferred my T800 to my 379, more room for my boxes and stuff without adding length.

Oxbow and Dirty Britches Thank this.
  7. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    As @johndeere4020 said wheel base is front axle to center of the rear axle group.

I specifically ordered a set forward axle because it allowed me to reduce my avall length to under 110’. Had I ordered a setback my OAL would have over 110’.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. Dirty Britches

Dec 1, 2018
    Late to the party. Yes everyone agrees on how to measure wb. I am curious to know how much longer a sb would have made you? Couldn’t have been much more than a foot. I do understand needing to be under 110 though

9. johndeere4020

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    18” in the schematics I posted for the Petes.

10. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I believe it was approx the same for my Western Star. I am 109 4 with my 26’ flat deck in

11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    You can read the Spicer manual, it says 3 deg or under driveshaft angle is ideal, but will allow for more up to a point ( I’d have to look the manual back up to find the max allowed). The main cause of vibration is if the main and auxiliary shafts aren’t parallel. If you put a angle meter on most factory driveshaft setups, you will find that most exceed 3 deg.

A u-joint, operated at any angle, will cause a change in velocity to be introduced in the driveline, each revolution. If the main shaft is sitting at say 3 deg, and the auxiliary shaft is also at 3 deg, the velocity change introduced by the first joint will be canceled out by the second joint, and not send the velocity change on down the line. Of course, when the driveshaft angles get too steep, the velocity change can become too much and cause a vibration there, because the steeper the angle, the higher velocity change.

I did a mock-up of my auxiliary Friday. Due to having to miss crossmembers, the front shaft is running at 6 deg. The rear shaft is almost flat. I think I’m going to mount it there and see how it works. After I drill the frame for the mounts, it will be easier to raise the auxiliary with shims than it would be to lower it.

Oxbow, Tug Toy, Dirty Britches and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.