Transmission electric to cable speedo

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Marmon110P, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Marmon110P

Marmon110P Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2019
    I've searched the web high n low and can't find a real answer. I've talked to 2 'experts' and they both gave me opposite answers. Hopefully someone here has actually done this to know 100% if its doable. I've got a truck with a 14613 cable drive speedo and I'm wanting to swap it for a 16913 to get the double OD. Can a 16913 be easily converted to run a cable drive speedo?? No, I'm not going electric, and no, I'm not wanting to run a GPS or app for speed. Basically looking to run a newer tranny with and older speedo setup. How doable is this??

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Well. Assuming it works like cars.

You'll have to find a way to install a shaft with splines and a gear to run the cable. And a housing that will fit it all.

Could be doable. Maybe.

4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I've never seen a cable drive. I'm assuming the only difference would possibly be the rear bearing housing, and a gear instead of the pulse wheel.

I would think just swapping the rear brg housing from old to new, with new gasket, seal, and yoke nut.

Some pics of the cable drive bearing housing would help

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    One option is take a RTO14609B and a rear box off an RT14613. The RT has an under drive auxiliary box instead of an overdrive so you will end up with the same ratios as a RTLO16913. You will have to use the main shaft out of one of the 13 speeds so the rear box will fit to the 14609b. It will keep a good low gear and still step out in high without the whine of the aux turning.

I agree this is not as good as a 16913 honestly it’s just not. But it is an option if the 16913 can’t be changed to cable drive. I know the 9 series has a different housing and seal on the tail from the 7 series. The 7 series is as good as the 9 series splits are preselected like the 9. It’s possible that the 7 may be converted easier. My 85 with the 14613 has electric speedo so I know those were both way. But never having converted one back to cable I don’t want to stick my foot in my mouth here. But I would think it’s doable

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.