Transmission issue (can’t get into gear - manual)

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Peter_Bilt, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Peter_Bilt

Peter_Bilt Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2017
    So I have never had to slide my trailer axles (spread axle) because I usually tell people how to load. Low and behold I had to and had to to some work to actually get it done. In the process something fouled up on my transmission and it is gradually getting worse. Note I have a new clutch, flywheel, and clutch brake and it is adjusted and working properly. That said, it was working beautifully before trying to move my trailer axles and now I can’t get it into gear and it grinds while trying to do so like the clutch is bad. I can start it in low gear while the clutch it depressed and then I can get moving but it’s getting worse. When it stopped working it didn’t make any sounds or anything and just kind of happened. It actually started working again perfectly but once I parked it again to get a tire changed it went back to being super ####ed making me think it’s a quick fix and that it’s something minor. I had the tire guy under the truck and he said he heard some kind of grinding (what he said, I hear a ticking from the driver’s seat) when the clutch is depressed and the clutch brake is working like it should. Any help would be grand to fix my sweet dear 20 year old money pit. If it helps, it’s an 18-speed.

where I got my info:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If it grinds while trying to get into gear when stopped at idle and continues to grind, it is 100% a clutch issue. Its dragging.

Now whether or not its dragging due to a damaged clutch, a linkage issue or a broken clutch brake is beyond what we can tell without physically looking at the truck.

I'd be tempted to say its the clutch due to the fact you state its intermittent. Again, I can't actually diagnose so just an educated guess. Could be broken torsional vibration springs from the hub falling down and jamming up in the disc as well.

Did you get real aggressive with the clutch trying to slide the axles?

lester, BoxCarKidd and spsauerland Thank this.
  4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I'd say it's the clutch brake. I have a Mack that I had to mess with the clutch brake by rigging up special adapters to make it work good.

Lord knows nothing last long in this business. It breaks as soon as you buy it.

5. Peter_Bilt

Feb 18, 2017
    The clutch brake is working fine as stated. That’s the first thing that was checked.

6. Peter_Bilt

Feb 18, 2017
    I did not beat on my clutch tech to slide the axles. I engaged property and got on the fuel and have it steady power. Clutch looks ok and the rotation stops when the pedal is depressed verifying the clutch brake is working as well. It came back and worked for a minute when trying to slide the trailer a little to get the pins to lock in the slide, and then went back to not working. It’s started working when I was pulling the trailer forward with the wheels chocked, exact opposite of what was done when this started happening. Also had carrier bearing replaced the day before but I doubt that has any impact.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Its simple. If you get gear clash when trying to put it in gear when stopped at idle, its a clutch or clutch brake problem. The transmission gears should be 100% stopped when you press the clutch pedal to the floor. If they don't, its because the input shaft is still rotating. Find the reason the input shaft is still spinning and you'll have your answer. Could even be the pilot bearing in the flywheel seizing up.

GoneAgain, spsauerland and Dino soar Thank this.
  8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Feel around in the flywheel housing, engine off, for broken spring pieces.

spsauerland, Dino soar and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Being that is intermittent, cold be a broken spring on the clutch. Possible throw out bearing

Dino soar, lester and AModelCat Thank this.
  10. Isafarmboy

Isafarmboy Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Alberta
    Is it cold where your at? Could be frozen or plugged air lines to your splitter.

11. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I'm afraid I dont understand. You say everything is working properly and as It should but yet you can't always get it in to gear?

spsauerland and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.