Transparency

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by kgray520, Feb 5, 2024.

1. kgray520

kgray520 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Hello, all. I've had a couple of occurrences in the last week that I'd like to get your input on. In both situations, the truck that delivered had a different name on it than who booked with me. Both carriers told me the driver forgot to put their name on the truck. Now, to give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they're new leased-on trucks running under their authority, but my main concern is, this means the trailers were not covered at all while on the road. There's no paperwork and agreement with the company that's on the truck and that can turn into a nightmare if there's a claim. My question is, if you legitimately have an agreement with a driver that leases onto you, do you tell the broker? Of course the answer should be yes, to avoid issues or confusion. And if you allow someone to lease onto you, how can you ensure they put your decals on their trucks BEFORE hauling anything under your name? There must be a better way to go about this, for the legitimate, NON-double-brokers out there...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've hauled loads like that and the company said to not use the decals, but keep them in the truck in case DOT stops you, then say you forgot. I was a company driver, not an 0/0.

Puppage Thanks this.
  4. PPNLE

PPNLE Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I mean, did you ask the individual drivers what was going on? Screw talking to the carriers, that's how you get lied to about who's doing what. You should've had your shipper/receiver/whomever get the drivers' contact info and speak with them directly.

5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    They were double brokered.

gentleroger, 86scotty, PPNLE and 5 others Thank this.
  6. kgray520

kgray520 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2021
    I didn't speak with the drivers, admittedly. And yes, I wish the receivers would take down the driver's numbers (in case it differs from what I'm given) but they usually don't :( Typically, the dispatcher or carrier's office would have copies of paperwork, something showing they have a written agreement together, if it's legit. But the 2nd carrier actually told me he didn't have a written agreement. Doesn't sound good...

7. kgray520

kgray520 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2021
    OK, I had a feeling something like this was happening. Thanks for sharing your side of it!

8. PPNLE

PPNLE Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Yeah, that's probably been double brokered. I'd put a stop on payment and try and find out who actually hauled the load. If you've got the info off the placard, it should be easy enough...

9. kgray520

kgray520 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2021
    It's strange, I've tried getting the carrier that hauled the load to set up with us (if they're not already) and they just don't bother or they never respond. I'd rather pay the carrier that hauled it, if they can't provide a written agreement between their companies.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some household goods movers do crap like that.
    You hire a major household goods mover to move you, thinking they have a good reputation and everything will be find. Then some raggedly box truck shows up at the destination, with no markings on the truck and demand $2 or $3 thousand dollars to unload your furniture. You think you already paid in full with the major carrier.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  11. kgray520

kgray520 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Oh that's terrible. There really should be more transparency on any additional fees. No one likes surprises

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.