Transparency

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by kgray520, Feb 5, 2024.

1. kgray520

kgray520 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2021
    The issue is, it's not covered by the carrier that booked the load and this could be a nightmare if there's a claim because the broker and carrier that actually hauled this load don't have an agreement on the load. The carrier who booked the load with the broker will usually try to get out of a claim, saying "well, one of our trucks didn't pull this load so....". This is why it's not allowed. If you had a car shipped and it was damaged in transit, wouldn't you expect to file a claim and get paid for the damage costs?

Freddy57 and JimmyTwoTimes Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kgray520

kgray520 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2021
    To answer everyone's recent questions, here are the 2 carriers that this happened with:

Alliance Trucking - MC# 1442073
    YDF Speedy Corp - MC# 1401390

At the time of booking them, I didn't see anything wrong with their companies. Their scores were acceptable and the 1 Freight Guard Alliance had, I was willing to give them a try (it was not for double-brokering or anything major). I've been asking the carriers to send pictures of the trucks before they get the paperwork but this doesn't ensure it's the same truck that shows up to pick up. Alliance sent me a picture of a truck with their decal on it but the truck that hooked it to and delivered had a company name that doesn't even have an active authority and NO INSURANCE. The carrier swore up and down that the driver just forgot to put the new decals on but it's very concerning - if the driver was pulled over, he would have been arrested and the trailer impounded. I don't think carriers are considering the risk they're putting themselves in to make an extra buck.

As for filing reports on Carrier 411, the main office has authority over that and they don't file them unless there's an issue. While double-brokering is the issue here, they don't usually file reports unless there was a damage or a claim. Since everything delivered on time and in good shape, they don't. I let my customers know when I have these experiences though so they can make an informed decision if/when the time comes. The carriers are also blacklisted from working with our other agents now.

Freddy57 and JimmyTwoTimes Thank this.
  4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Well, I would think double brokering would be an issue

kgray520 and PPNLE Thank this.
  5. PPNLE

PPNLE Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I mean, same.

kgray520 Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK ... I did too.
    Who are you?
    Was the trucks legal?

Did you trip lease the truck and driver?
    Covered? Like insurance?

Maybe but then it I was a broker, no one would get paid until it is all sorted out. If they ran illegally, no one would get paid at all.
    Yep, it can be but again who are you and where do you fit into this?
    Who initiated the work? You or the driver?

If it is you, mention it to them but I don't think they will care.

If it was the driver, cut them loose and move on.
    See above ...
    You put them on there for them, it isn't an option.

To be exact why are you leasing with owners who do not let you inspect their trucks or negotiate in person?
    Don't know, maybe others went to mind reading school but I haven't so you have to fill in the blanks.

7. kgray520

kgray520 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2021
    I'm a broker. The carriers called me to book the loads. They do not get paid if they cannot provide an agreement between them and the delivering carrier. I contact the delivering carrier to make payment arrangements. If I cannot get a hold of them (which happens most of the time), the customer is not billed for the carrier's pay.

If there is a claim, it's a nightmare. I have to rely on the carrier that booked the load with me to cooperate and facilitate payment for damages. Their insurance company will not pay a claim when the insured's name is not on an accident/police report. I have yet to see a "leased-on truck" be covered on the carrier's policy because most of the time in my experience, they're not really leased-on.

One of the trucks I know for sure did not have insurance (which means it did not have a valid registration) and an inactive authority so yes, this was absolutely an illegal truck.

Freddy57 Thanks this.
  8. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    DANG !

9. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Kinda like when USPS delivers an Amazon package to your house?

10. kgray520

kgray520 Bobtail Member

Nov 30, 2021
    It could be like that but it depends on what goes on behind the scenes. If the USPS has a written contract with Amazon (which I'm sure they do), the packages should be covered under USPS's insurance (unless Amazon covers it for a fee). With companies that big, they very likely cross all their Ts and dot all their Is.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I asked my manager about brokers contracts the other day, this is the question: do these contracts have exclusivity in them for the carriers obligation?

This morning he said going through 50 or so, only one has the clause that the carrier has to be the delivery company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.