Transporter Plates and Drive Away Transports Anyone ?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Ryan S2016, May 18, 2016.

1. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Really, that's strange, I assumed all states would allow for transport companies to have transporter plates.
    In NC the requirements were Operating Authority Proper Insurance coverage and then for reasons for request were a few but I fell into catagories of Transporting new and used vehicles to auction or dealer and transporting trailers from dealer or manf. but cannot put on power unit (my truck) and must have bill of sale or title with vehicle. To get dealer transport plates you have to have a dealership and garage keepers insurance. Towing and Repo companies can get them too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Pennsylvania is similar, we have to have a commercial property with an office that is zoning approved by our local township/city, must have at least one contract with a licensed dealer to transport motor vehicles or trailers on their own wheels, and must prove we are a "bona fide" business, can't be home based and must have the proper insurance. Basically we have to go through almost all the same hoops as a dealer does, plus they restrict what we can do with them depending. I will say it was well worth the hassle to get them.

Not that I am recommending this route, but I know a few transporters that have rented dealer plates from some less than reputable dealers, but if something were to happen like an accident you would be in a bind, meaning read trouble.

4. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Yeah I forgot that part too. They want to see your Authority, and biz license. They sent me my check back said they needed info so I said I am gonna be that guy. I sent them my Articles of Inc. my filing with Sec of State, every single insurance document I had, my process agent forms and number, my registered agent form I mean the works, something like 30 pieces of paper :biggrin_2559: then they approved me

5. RubberOnTheRoad

RubberOnTheRoad Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2014
    I know this is an old post but does anyone have any recommendations of insurance companies who provide cover drive away companies?

6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Very difficult insurance coverage to find unless you are also a dealer or have a fleet of trucks on the road. As a stand alone company driveaway coverage starts around $30k a year, if you can even obtain it.

Best agent I have found for issuing this is Lou Polur at Condon Meek. Their website is
    Drive Away Tow Away | Condon-Meek Insurance Clearwater Florida

7. mellissaherring

mellissaherring Bobtail Member

May 13, 2019
    Ryan, I don't know if you will see this or not. I am in Eastern NC and just found out about these tags. Could you tell me more about how you got them?

8. Natalieotero345

Natalieotero345 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2020

9. Natalieotero345

Feb 10, 2020
    Hey , if i need your services to drive back a car i m planning to buy, how does it work? I m in Queens, NY and my phone # is 347 897 8921 thanks

10. Natalieotero345

Feb 10, 2020
    Hey, if i need your services to drive back a car i m buying, how would it work? I m in queens NY and my phone # is 347 897 8921 thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.