transporting horse-drawn vehicles by truck

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Moose Holland, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Moose Holland

Moose Holland Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2020
    One of these puppies could do it but they seem rather expensive and overkill for two measly horse carriages weighing up to 2,500 pounds each. Traveling axles instead of deck that tilt independently of trailer chassis. Yes, the horse carriage is a non-powered piece of rolling stock when animal is not hitched to it. I don't know if hitched horses could ever move a carriage on and off a trailer.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    A stepdeck with a beavertail and ramps with a winch on the deck is what I would use, assuming this is something you plan on doing frequently.

tscottme and MOBee Thank this.
  4. NuCar Carrier

NuCar Carrier Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    I'm from Mackinac Island, Michigan where there are no cars, only bikes and horse-drawn carriages. I built a dray wagon once but it never left the island and of course, only horses transported it. I'm guessing here but here are the obstacles I see. Steering it onto the trailer, no brakes on the carriage, and finding good tie down points that wouldn't damage the carriage.
    If you're any good at finagling information call the Grand Hotel and the Mackinac Island Carriage Tours on the island, they may help you.

5. Moose Holland

Jul 27, 2020
    It's not something I'm planning on doing myself. I don't own horse carriages, nor do I ever have any personal need to transport them. I am into model railroading and model vehicles. I have scenery on my train layout where a man named Mr. Groves operates a stagecoach and a 2-horse platform wagon at a fictious lake called Lake Drummond for excursion ride service. He transports his horses using two two-horse trailers and two pickup trucks to his homestead ten miles away with pasture and stable. He has a Kenworth tractor on his spread as well as a 45-foot flatbed Great Dane trailer with no bulkhead. I can add a bulkhead as an option. It leads me to ask myself curious questions. How the devil does he manage load his two carriages on and off the trailer? His O'Connor marked stagecoach is about 2,500 pounds. His platform wagon (the kind that was formerly used to take people to and from the train station to downtown) probably weighs no more than 1,500 pounds. Both carriages have hand brakes operated by the drivers. A winch might be able to pull each carriage up onto a low deck trailer using ramps. How does the carriage get off the truck? Pushed off maybe? Mr. Groves could also own one of those trucks that towing companies use. Tilt bed with winch. Automobile transporter. Only one carriage can be hauled at a time with one of these so he would have to make two trips. I think I will have to call up the outfit that still runs those Wells Fargo stages and ask them what they use as a coach transportation solution?

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  6. Moose Holland

Jul 27, 2020

7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Due to the non-replaceable value most museums use transporters like a couple of specialized carriers such as Horseless Carriage or Reliable to haul their exhibits like that. No open deck on high value pieces of history in majority of moves.

8. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Lol! Was it Twilight Zone or Outer limits that had the episode of the guy who thought he woke up and had this whole town to himself only to discover in the end he was living in a house in a neighborhood on a train set in someones basement. That was a great episode.

9. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    That was Twilight Zone. Great episode!

LtlAnonymous and SmallPackage Thank this.
  10. Moose Holland

Jul 27, 2020
    Here is a picture, now how the devil did Mr. Groves manage to get those carriages on top of that flatbed! Mr. Groves does not own these for museum exhibit. He operates excursion rides and collects fare money.

groves carriages.jpg

11. Moose Holland

Jul 27, 2020
    Stopover in a Quiet Town - Wikipedia

I was born April 19, 1964. This television program first aired 5 days after the doctor spanked my bottom.

It begs us humans to ask ourselves "how REAL" can we make our model train world really?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.