Travel Centers of America is failing and will declare bankruptcy within five years.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Deadwood, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Trucker Paul

Trucker Paul Medium Load Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Westland,Mi
    Well many of the big chain's truckstops aren't desirable places to be but I guess still a place for our drivers to park and rest.

Dave_in_AZ and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Well, I didn't start driving until I turned 21 back in 04. Most of the classics were probably already long gone by then. I still roll by a couple of them on my frequent milk tanker runs from NM up to CO and back. There's that really old one on the west side of Tucumcari. Then there's this other boarded up one in Clayton NM right after you pass the weigh station going north on 87. Don't know what that one was, but it clearly has the feel of a scaled down TA.

One thing that irked me about the remains of old truck stops from pictures was how smaller the lots were. I'm guessing everyone just more or less kept on rolling and only stopped long enough for that bonafide, diner meal while getting fueled up. No need for hundreds of drivers hunkering down all night at the same time. Bed time was what you made of it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    RubyEagle and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  4. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    That is true about fueling and eating in the past. There was also a lot less trucks on the highway too.
    Another issue was most trailers were between 40-48' long and 96" wide and the parking spaces in the truck stops were designed for this and they haven't changed even though the trailers are now 53' long and 102" wide.

5. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Here's another angle: Japan just banned all gas powered cars after 2035. General Motors said it won't make gas powered cars by 2035. Being as that I haul crude oil and 63% of this country's electricity comes from Evil Fossil Fuels, calling that idea retarded is an insult to actual retarded people everywhere. They have more sense than that.

But here's the point: If TA needed to upgrade their facilities to include electrical stations for these "futuristic" electrical trucks they couldn't do it. They are flat assed broke. They couldn't make those kind of expensive upgrades if they had to. In a market awash with Federal Reserve printed money, no one wants TA stock or bonds. They are what's called a zombie company, making barely enough money to stay afloat.

6. Michael 247

Michael 247 Heavy Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    Dublin Va
    The Goberment will bail them out with Our Tax Dollars...

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  7. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Maybe Melvin should start shorting them?

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    On 2/05/21 the restaurants at harbor creek pa and Kingsville pa will permanently close ..corporate says they're not making enough money .

9. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    With the restaurant at Harborcreek closing the only food options at that location will be Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

stwik, bzinger and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I’ve never heard of either of those places.

Erie? Okay yeah been there twice. Never ate.

Only Kingsville I can find is on a logging road in the middle of nowhere. Okay, Brookville? I’d rather go to the Denny’s at flying J and the McDonald’s has longer hours.

stwik, Dale thompson and ZVar Thank this.
  11. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Harborcreek TA is just north of I-90 about 5-10 minutes east of Erie,next to the Blue Beacon. I’ve made a few pickups at the Ken’s salad dressing factory in that town.

Dale thompson and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.