Travel Centers of America is failing and will declare bankruptcy within five years.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Deadwood, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Love’s is opening 51 new, built from the ground up, locations in 2021.
    Love’s 2021 Preview: 50 New Stores

Pilot isn’t moving that fast, but here in West Texas they just opened six new, built from the ground up, locations in the last two years.

TA is selling their name and management model to mostly existing truck stops who are throwing in the towel on staying independent. Struggling independents getting paired with a struggling parent company. Older locations with tons of deferred maintenance getting paired with a parent company that simply can’t afford to upgrade them.

I say again, when is the last time you’ve dealt with TA as a driver and thought “man, that is an efficient, well run business. I wish I owned a truck stop so I could pay for the privilege of getting their management expertise.”

Blue jeans, TokyoJoe, bthomann and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Changing Signage costs a whole lot less than building from scratch.

4. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    He retired from the US ARMY after 21 years as a Blackhawk pilot and he has a Masters Degree as an aviation engineer and was hired by Bell Helicopter to work at Patuxent River Naval Air Station in Lexington Park, Md.

5. bthomann

bthomann Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2020
    Hope everything goes well! This weather is crazy! Just so you know, the Farris truck stop in Faucett, Missouri has been sold to (guess who)? Pilot. That's the one with the 1970's Peterbilt mounted on the sign. They plan to demolish it and build one of their new, boring buildings with a crappy Taco Bell. Another one lost!

6. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Hi bthomann,

Just relaxing here in Winter Haven, Fl. in 83*after that winter trip through Ala., Tenn., Va., Md., NC., SC., Ga. and home and I do not plan on leaving before May 1. After being retired for 10 years and stuck here in Fla. because of Covid I want no part of the North anymore in winter. We leave here in May for our 6 months travelling through these same areas that we in but i n the 5th wheel.

The thing that is so upsetting to me is the closed Country Pride and Iron Skillets that we came across. Why doesn't TA just go ahead and do the contract with IHOP rather than leave their restaurants sit empty? You can stop and go to the fast food stores or the roller grills because they are paying you rent but let your restaurants sit empty. It is disgraceful so say the least. They have shuttered some of the busiest ones too like Wildwood Fl. TA, Marianna Fl. TA and Wytheville Va. TA but leave small nasty ones like Candler NC. TA and Montgomery Al. TA open. Go figure. Even the great White's Petro Iron Skillet in Raphine Va. was closed for the dinner hours but the newer Quaker Steak and Lube was open.

I'm about to give up my loyalty to the TA/Petro brand after my more than 50 years patronizing them. Oh well I'll take the 5th wheel to the Mom & Pops and Flying J's more often. See you later my friend.

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i been meaning to ask, and just forgot..

how do you know this for a fact? been talking with the truck stop counter experts..???

8. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    If people only knew how hard is to get a decent salad at truck stops nowadays with the majority of salad bars being closed! It’s like they don’t want drivers to eat healthy anymore!

DoubleO7, bzinger and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Ex
    Exactly right, I hate lettuce as it has no or little nutritional value. I like a good salad with spinach. But yeah not paying 6 dollars for a bowl of filler lettuce with shredded carrots on top.
    But yeah go eat artery clogging #### fast food

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    No truck stop counters to even sit at anymore. Some have reopen but most of the restaurants are closed. Even before covid-19 the TA was closing the restaurants like 9 or 10pm. It looks like they are losing customers. We know the restaurants were losing money. I'm at TA tonight because nobody parkes here anymore. All they have is fuel, showers and store for candy and hot dogs for breakfast or dinner.

Maybe the new TA Express truck stops they are going to open will help. Just the idea of TA thinking drivers will keep paying for reserved park and only have hot dogs for food. Seems like a losing business idea.

11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    it has been several years since i needed a truck stop to spend the night. and at my last job, i only needed to fuel. hardly ever had any need for more than a couple of roller dogs and coffee.

the truck stops as we recall, had restaurants, that cooked thier own foods, all day long, with buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

then cut backs for one reason or another, and fast food chains went in. as long as drivers prepared thier own foods, in the trucks, patronage will dwindle, to no more than fuel, laundry, showers, over night parking, maybe a truck wash and maybe truck repairs.

who is ultimately to blame for the decline of the services truck stops used to offer??

i'd say there is NO ultimate blame on any one side or the other.

but as time goes on, maybe if anything at all, the buildings will be basically "cut in half" only what is needed will stay, the rest may be turned into parking spaces.

sucks to be a trucker nowadays, especially for those that are new, and do not have food prep items in the truck, cuz they do not know from one day to another, if they are going to stay or get into one minor wreck, and be fired on the spot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.