Travel Centers of America is failing and will declare bankruptcy within five years.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Deadwood, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    We get our massive fuel discount at TA/PETRO.

As far as cleanliness, most of you are friggin pigs. So you B and complain when something isn't spotless.

I do miss the buffets.

As far as money goes..........there's several TA's and Petro's that take in more money than The Church.

They just added like a dozen or 20 of those TA Express's. Most were smaller truck stops now under their flag.

Bulgarian women with nose hair for the win.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    The quuik stars are nice, fresh fruit and vegetables and nice clean stores. Variety of options besides lard logs and roller grill items. Nice to stop so I can stock up truck. Without those ####ty Wal marts

4. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Yes we have a bunch of pigs in this industry. Some of them smell worse than a skunk

5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    The problem is those are only regional... definatly some of the best truckstops out there. Along with the town pumps in montana... if either on of these chains took over ta and petro i surely wouldnt be dissapointed

6. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    The TA/Petro's are among the oldest of the major truck stops out there today. Kwik/Trip and Kwik/Star are newer and regional as are the Town Pumps. It would take a lot of cash to remodel and upgrade these remnants of Union 76.

Loves is the newer of the Big 3 and even though a lot smaller stops they are at least expanding at the rate of about 40 stops a year.

TA should spin off Petro as a stand alone like it was years ago. Maybe they could survive an eventual demise of TA closing down in the future just like Pilot should do with Flying J.

TA management surely knows that their days are numbered and they keep going down the wrong path to success. Changing 50% of their lots to paid parking, raising shower prices sky high and the closing of a lot of Iron Skillets and Country Pride restaurants in favor of fast food and the upcoming contract to change to IHOP's.

I am a big fan of Petro's but I can see the writing on the wall. It won't be long for TA unless they see their about to fall off a cliff.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    But you know something, those paid spots are 100% full every night......and that's a pretty big chunk o' change.
    Look, TA pretty much sucks and they're in no mood to change. And it's kinda odd in a way. They're not stupid people. They see what Loves and PFJ and doing, yet they don't seem to give a rip. Loves, on the other hand, has gone on a buying / building spree this year......chasing PFJ.
    My best guess is that they're positioning themselves for a buy out......most likely from Loves.

bentstrider83 and bzinger Thank this.
  8. navypoppop

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    I don't see Loves buying them. The land is too much ground for them. They do not need the buildings with sit down restaurants and the shops are a lot larger than any Speedco they have. Just my thoughts as I will hate to see them disappear.

9. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Back in the earlier 2000's T/A's where the Truck stop of choice for most. I remember it was difficult to find a parking stop at most including the rundown one off I95 in Baltimore, MD where security lacked (hopefully it's not as shady and has gotten better there?..) I'm surprised to read this thread stating that they will be bankrupt in 5 years? I haven't been trucking OTR since 2003 & still wondering what happened to Petro truck stops & when they lost their independence as a standalone? I was cleaning my basement out and found some old points cards including Petro truck stops one.

bentstrider83, RockinChair and bzinger Thank this.
  10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    You know, what's odd is that Petro is usually a really good place to stop. Usually pretty clean, and the restaurants are usually pretty good.
    TA, on the other hand, is 95% awful. Frankly, I can't think of one I'd recommend.

11. navypoppop

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Petro's are a lot newer than most TA'S. The majority of TA'S are from the older days of Union 76 Truck Stops and Travel Ports and they received minor face lifts to covert to TA. The Petro's were always a class above any truck stops around and I feel still are today.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.