Travel Centers of America is failing and will declare bankruptcy within five years.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Deadwood, Dec 17, 2020.

1. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    If you see an Iron Skillet open and think "maybe I'll get one more meal before they close down for good", DON'T!!!

I just stopped at the Petro in Carnesville GA and the iron skillet is open and still have a full menu it seems. No buffet but me and the wife tried out dinner just because we probably won't ever be able to eat there again.

She got the fish, I got the country fried steak. The food was all pre prepared and microwaved. The baked potato wasn't even hot enough to melt the butter and looked like it was probably baked a couple days ago and thrown in the fridge. The steak wasn't even the normal steak Iron Skillet sells, looked like something from a frozen package that they warmed up and dumped some old gravy on, then they left it sitting there long enough for the gravy to get a crust on top of it. Not hot at all. The toast wasn't even toasted, it was like a piece of toast after you leave it sitting on the counter for 1/2 a day and then microwave it. The soup was supposed to be the chicken and dumpling soup but was lukewarm (microwaved) and seemed like horrible canned soup with 0 chicken in it, unsalted garbage.

We ate almost none of it and left. The sweet tea was decent. I have no idea why that place is even open.

austinmike, Deadwood, JonJon78 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    And that is almost identical to my last iron skillet experience- 10 years ago.

The reason their restaurants failed is because they served cheap food, poorly prepared and counted on a captive customer base with low standards.

4. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    As another thought- the Sturtevant WI Petro is a locally owned franchise. They just dumped a bunch of money into the place. The food's still mediocre, but they have a bar so . . .

But here's the rub - parking is $15 or 75 gallons/$50 purchase. They did switch all the parking to sight side angles, which is nice but my mirrors are just inside the yellow lines on both sides and from the back line to the end of the line is 48'. It's not impossible to get in, but it's a multiple goal situation. Once they start charging for parking, business is going to drop off.

bzinger, jason6541, alds and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Warrior Pump

Warrior Pump Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2015
    I always ate at Culver’s whenever I parked there.

6. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    TA’s new ad campaign:
    “Iron Skillet: our sweet tea is average and anyone who gets food poisoning from us gets their next meal free!”

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Two more new Love's truck stop just opened in Ohio. One is between Arkon and Youngstown on I-76 and the other is east of Columbus Ohio on I-70 Screenshot_20210516-100513.png

Screenshot_20210516-101248.png

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  8. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Seems like even the once great Whites Petro in Raphine, Va. might have closed the Iron Skillet. The owner Bobby Berkstresser is a great guy to meet and talk to but I hope he doesn't close the Iron Skillet and if he does at least contract to some restaurant chain like he did with the Lexington, Va. TA. IHOP is better than nothing. Don't count on Quaker Steak and Lube to fill the bill. It's way out beyond the parking area.

9. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    If you say so but I'll probably not eat there 99% of the times that I would have if it was a real restaurant like the one the TA used to have. I stopped there every single time I went past on 81 because it used to have an excellent buffet that was worth paying for!

Something that these idiots making decisions need to think about the next time they sit there scratching their balls wondering why nobody is eating there anymore, like at almost every iron skillet in the country. The food just sucks and isn't worth anything close to 20 bucks + a 5 dollar tip.

10. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    This is something I have trouble understanding. I know that most T/S customers are there because of circumstances not choice. But when the choice is between being punched in the balls, being punched in the stomach, or having my foot stamped on, I'm going to chose the foot stomp and just eat in the truck. Why am I going to pay a premium for substandard food?

If your food can't compete with local restaurants, then your food sucks. In the past you could rely on transient traffic, but in the modern google world it's easy for cars to bypass what's at the exit for a 'real' restaurant. Especially once you add in a liqueur license. 7 peach slices in a gallon of high fructose corn syrup might have been 'highfalutin' in 1980, but in 2020 it's just pitiful. Circa 2000 we'd closed down the bars and I got convinced to pile into a car and head to Dennys (good lord, the things you'll do when you're 19). The food sucked and I didn't even get laid as a result. The next night I took everyone back to the house and channeled my inner "short order cook", cooking omelettes and burgers for an hour before getting laid in twice, by non sequential girls.

I will happily concede that the 2004 HOS changes cut into T/S profitability, particularity in regards to the restaurants, and the 2018 ELD requirements made things worse. But if your food can't attract locals, then you were SOL in the first place.

11. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    That’s actually a good idea for a thread.

Places I’d stop for food every time I went by:

Johnson’s Corner Truck Stop (Petro),
    between Cheyenne and Denver- If anything. there were more locals than truckers every time I was there. Never a bad meal and proof that truck stop restaurants can be done correctly.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.