Traveling 70 miles to your job every day

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by pattyj, Feb 8, 2015.

1. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Hi, pattyj. Couple of things: I saw you're going to talk to a contractor for FedEx... I've known guys who worked for Ground contractors out here in the Pacific Northwest, just be sure they offer you benefits, and regular days off, in writing! Folks I know worked for contractors without benefits, and one younger guy worked for a contractor for two years without a day off (running legal wasn't a big concern for either of them: that kid hired on with us at FedEx Freight to run line, and ended up fired for running too many hours).
    Second, I switched jobs at the end of 2013, and now my commute is about 35 miles each way. My 2001 Silverado wasn't cutting it, so I searched and found a 1999 Jetta for $4300, put an additional $1000 in repairs, overdue maintenance, and tires on it, and now I have a 37 mpg commuter for just over $5000... If you can swing it, an older commuter car can be a decent investment.

pattyj Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That contractor didn't sound all that friendly over the phone.I'm happy with my car and won't buy another one for the sake of a job.Even then I wouldn't travel that far every day.There is plenty of local jobs and applied to 3 this that morningNow the waiting process begins.The LTL carrier at 19.00 an hr sounded promising.He said our main concern is the mvr. not my job history.I guess they've been turning down a lot of drivers because of their driving record.I'm not at all worried about that.

JReding Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Thank You Tony for those kind words.The recruiter for that company never called me this morning and hoping he doesn't now.My dad will always come first over any job.Use to be mom as well but shes passed away.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Well, I used to commute 59 mi 1-way (about an hour and 5 min) here in S. Cal. about 1/2 freeway. For 4 yrs. But my job was pretty much an 8 hr day maybe 9 sometimes. Now, a 12 hr day then a long commute would drag on you, for sure. But I've known neighbors who commuted San Diego-L.A. daily (110 mi 1 way) We have people who do high desert-L.A. daily which is 1 1/2 hrs. Some commutes are only 40 mi but might take 75 min ! Me I would do the 70 mi commute because that job will lead you to another at some point. I don't think you'll be doing that job for the next 20 yrs, right ?

6. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm not sure about your area, but out here, 35 miles IS still local! [emoji1]

7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    i commute 150 mi one way to work but only do it on the weekends and the job pays 1400 a week , id rather not drive that far but the trucking jobs where i live pay slave wages ...had a guy offer me 33cpm the other day and it gave me somthing to laugh about as i made my 150 mile drive to work .

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Unless I got reimbursed for gas and mechanical work if something happened on my way there.Id be filling my car twice a week and all the taxes taken out,im probably bring home 500 at most.More power to the people that wanna drive that far for a job,I prefer not.I imagine that would get old real quick and I don't wanna take the chance of quitting.Right now im very motivated to get back out there but not with this piticular job unless like I have said that the company meets me halfway on the suggestions I gave.

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Well heck with pay like that id commute even 200 miles.Theres big difference between 5 days at 175.00 a day and what you make.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Its local here too and 35 miles is nothing id be more then willing to drive that for a job but not 70 miles.

JReding Thanks this.
  11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Recruiter called and left a voice mail and by the tone of his voice you think he won the lotto,lol.He talked to the plant manager and he said i'll be able to take the trk home.So after piece of sh_t Ray goes to work i'll call the recruiter.

JReding Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.