Tri axle rears weight rating

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by SA1, Feb 27, 2021.

1. SA1

SA1 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Hey guys I got a 2004 Pete I want to buy but I got something on my mind that might be a problem later on but I don’t know if it’s. A quick fix. The rear 3 axles are rated for 18,333 each but I wanted 23000 each. My question is getting them changed a costly job? the local rerating axle guys are closed for 2 days and I have to leave town on Monday. Before I give a deposit I thought of you guys
    Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've never heard of such a wonky axle rating. Normally they're 19k, 20k, 22k or 23k each.

Are you sure its not just what its registered for in terms of GVW?

4. SA1

SA1 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2019
    It’s what’s on the door unless I pulled one and read it wrong

Attached Files:

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Wow that's kinda goofy.

Changing axles is not going to be overly cheap. Probably looking at around $8-10k for a tridem cutoff from the wreckers. If you can get one with the same suspension you could cut down on the labour costs and not have a Swiss-cheese looking frame at the end of it.

Probably need to do brakes/cams/seals/u-joints on the axles and replace air bags and bushings on top of that too since its quite likely that truck won't have the 69k suspension in it either.

Deere hunter, p608 and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.