tri PAC apu how to turn on to just run

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by lokahi117, Jan 1, 2014.

1. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Thanks y'all, I really appreciate it. First I got to get my APU running then I'll give it a shot. I bought a 2008 tripac couldn't get in a shop for installation, every Thermo King I called said they are backed up and that it will take about two weeks before they can install for me. So I took the chance with my brothers help we install it at the house, but I can't get it to stay running, it shuts off after about 30 seconds. I have bleed the supply line till it shooting out straight fuel no bubbles. I've done the same to the return line but it still doing it. So that's my story. If anyone have any ideas to try, I will appreciate it!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chris50

Chris50 Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Florida
    What is your apu doing before it turns off? Is it trying to restart after it turns off or is it kicking a code? Are you using the bleed screw on the front of the motor to get it primed?

pbrstreetgang Thanks this.
  4. bonous

bonous Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    I figured it out. It was my alternator, the alternator was frozen so when I turn on the APU it start runs for a few seconds then shut off. I took the belt off and it kept running fine with no issues. I ordered a new thermo King 120 amp alternator, I should get it by Monday and install. Thanks for the response.

5. Triple js

Triple js Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Hi Chris how are you this is Jessica I have a 2010 Freightliner Cascadia do you know there's any way I can make the tri pac work while the truck is on

6. Chris50

Jun 21, 2010
    Florida
    Are you able to get into programming mode through the keypad? Google tripac diagnostic manual and download the PDF... Look in the software section it will explain to you how to get into the system... You need to change the value for EPS, it stands for external power source... I think you change it to 'no'. Just a note, once youve made any changes to the programming, when you power on the keypad hit just one button at a time and let it cycle thru the hours display, if you hit multiple buttons while it is booting it will set any changed parameters back to default. At least it does that on mine if i try to change the temp while its scrolling the apu hours....good luck

7. Chris50

Jun 21, 2010
    Florida
    I should of added to this, once you have the switch on the SEN wire the apu has to be in battery monitor mode for this to work....... when you complete the circuit because you want the apu to turn off it will run for 5-15 minutes after that....or just hit the main power and of course it will turn off.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Got an education today.

All this diddling with the APU. Sheesh. I'll throw the Generac 8500kw on the catwalk and crank it. It will run on 10 hours off 8 gallons and power my entire home.

9. Wreckinball133

Wreckinball133 Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Can you send me the info ghhayse13@icloud.com thx

10. pbrstreetgang

pbrstreetgang Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    California
    chris50, my tripac is from 2009 so i assume it’s the same as yours - big rectangular black control unit with a master power button in the lower left corner (“main power”) and another power button in the lower right corner (that misleadingly says “apu”) which turns on the generator motor, and also turns on the a/c if the mode button (in the middle/left) is set to a/c.

if i understand what you’re saying correctly, i should be able to just snip the SEN wire (tape off both ends) and then the generator will always run (regardless of voltage) whenever the master power button AND the “apu” power button have BOTH been pressed and are lit. right?

in other words, with the SEN wire cut, i will still be able to run the heater WITHOUT the generator running, if i want to, with the master power button lit but the right power button not lit. so snipping the SEN wire only disables the voltage-reading feature and does NOT automatically turn on the motor whenever the MASTER power button is on....

i know this sounds confusing and i could explain why im asking this but that would take another 4 paragraphs....please just assume i have a valid reason for asking! thanks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  11. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    The way I see it, yes you are right.
    I disconnected the ignition control on mine. Have more comfort this way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.