tri PAC apu how to turn on to just run

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by lokahi117, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Muamer84

Muamer84 Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Hi, i have a problem apu running all the time, i used to disconnect the sen wire to run i but I created short ones and now i have no power to sen wire, whree would be the fuse for sen wire, its not in fuse box, and it is fuse #15

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Did you check the fuses in the control box?

I'm not of a big help on that. You may have to wait until somebody chimes in or you have to get a wiring diagram from somewhere.

You could stop by at a TK dealer and ask. Asking questions doesn't cost anything.

4. Muamer84

Muamer84 Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2018
    I did, and they have no idea man it’s annoying that they cant answer the question

5. Gus48

Gus48 Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Hey Chris can you tell me how to put that switch?

6. Gus48

Gus48 Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Chris can you tell me how to do it ,thanks.

7. Gus48

Gus48 Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Thank Chris.

bonous and Chris50 Thank this.
  8. K9 Unit

K9 Unit Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2019

9. K9 Unit

K9 Unit Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2019
    The fuse for the SEN (sensing) wire should be at or very near the battery where it provides sensing voltage to the circuit board to start APU in the null setting to charge batteries. I have an issue with my sending wire losing contact at battery so I've put in a temporary jumper to the 2 terminal with a 5 amp fuse in it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Reason for edit: To correct 2ith to with
  10. southbaydad

southbaydad Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    Book says idle has to be set 1850 rpms for unit to run properly
    Does anyone know where a tach is supposed to be hooked up at to check and adjust rpm speed?
    A sensor somewhere or a wire in the control box?
    Thanks

11. pbrstreetgang

pbrstreetgang Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    California
    i have my tripac hooked up to run continuously when i need it to - i put an on/off switch in the middle of the SEN wire as suggested here (thanks again chris50). however i was told again by another dealer this is bad for the alternator and batteries, and to be honest im thinking this could be true (?) because my most recent alternator didn't last very long and neither did my batteries.

i was told a better solution is to run power to 7a (in the black fusebox under the bunk), which supposedly will trick the black box into thinking that the tripac unit has an arctic pack and that it's freezing outside even when it really isn't freezing. this way, supposedly, the alternator and batteries wont be strained - after cutting or putting a switch in the sen wire, the tripac (supposedly) continuously tries to charge and charge...which is supposedly not what happens when continuous run is a result of the arctic pack/power supplied to 7a in the black box. sorry for saying "supposedly" so many times but i wanna make it clear that i personally have no idea

so, questions -
    1 - any technical explanations as to why it may or may not be true that supplying power to 7a is better that putting switch in sen wire?
    2 - how would i provide power to my 7a? right now there is nothing coming out of 7a on my unit - it's just a phillips head screw stuck into the place marked 7a. it would be easy to run a wire to there, just screw one in, but i wouldnt know where to hook the other end

thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.