Trip Dallas, TX to Anchorage, AK

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Troady, Aug 21, 2018.

1. krupa530

krupa530 Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    Orem, UT
    Another reason for putting them in a van maybe on a normal car hauler with the roads being so bad they'd have all smashed windows etc with all the rocks getting kicked up, never mind bodywork dents and scratches. I dunno, just a thought.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    @Troady
    I've really enjoyed the thread and all of the great pictures. Thanks for posting, it really made my day. God bless you and have a great trip on the south bound leg.

Troady Thanks this.
  4. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    I only tried it once, wouldn't dare do it again. Car didn't actually get damaged but moved around like crazy, i was in and out about 30 times adding more straps etc. Ended up stuffing mattresses in there hoping they'd help.

I suppose if you can get the wheels really tightly anchored side to side you're halfway there, in my case that was where most of the movement was, but better you than me anyway!

Vaya con Dios

Troady and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. Troady

Troady Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2012
    The guy who load the truck, has been sending cars to the us for 14 years, got a lot of knowledge about how to do it, it put some pallets upside down on the floor to block the wheels in them, strapped the pallets to the car and to the side and did use my 4 straps to secure the last car by the wheels to the side of the van, everything is tie down and secure, i don't expect any problem with the cars, on the other side i don't drive like a maniac, so nothing weird is suppose to happen, it's not the first time i move cars, just using common sense most of the times ends well.

CellNet, Magoo1968, larry2903 and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Troady

Troady Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Here in Anchorage today was kind of warm, 64 degrees, so when i rode to the client to pick up the cars, tried to use the AC and it didn't work at all. I asked the client about a place to take a look at it and he send me to a shop at the north of Anchorage where they found out that one end of a metal pipe on the AC compressor broke down, could not finish repair today so it will be done tomorrow. Hope will be riding out of here tomorrow before noon, will see, good night to you all.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  7. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    The reason they are shipping in a van is very simple

They are paying this guy like $0.33 per mile to move each car and likely charging a dollar or more per mile. He simply cheaper than any other solution - I would likely include intermodal in that. He is taking all the risk for virtually zero gain.

krupa530 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Should of been kn for knight. Nothing wrong with two knights defense. It's a very solid opening.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

K(G)-B3.

Yea..I know. Bad pun...but eh...cant' win them all.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Chess to me is Cheese spelt incorrectly...forgive me my ignorance. :)

Swiss Mountain Dog and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I see you met Alex. Better not mess with him since he has to be one of the biggest guys I have ever met.

11. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I hauled probably over a hundred of them out of Anchorage to Washington. I put three in there within inches of each other, but my trailer has E-track on the floor and I would strap them down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.