Trip Dallas, TX to Anchorage, AK

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Troady, Aug 21, 2018.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    That road around Haines Junction has been like that for at least 25 years.
    I was across there in 1991, fifth wheel hitches on pickups towing campers were being twisted in half.

CellNet Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    The Cassiar is about 100 Miles shorter. It's a narrow windy road. I ran it for the last couple years and it is fine if you pay attention. No shoulder in most places, so if you do catch the edge you will more than likel end up on your side.
    It is pretty for sure and a lot of bears. You can stop in Jade City and look at the store and spend your money on BC jade.
    Before you come to Iskut you can look at Dave's yard and see all the wrecked trucks and trailers that didn't make it.
    From South of Tatooga Lake you will see lots of super Bs hauling ore and fuel to the mine.
    He is talking about the Washington Port of Entry on I-5 Bow Hill. You can go down SR-9, but it takes more time and it is pretty narrow and curvy.
    If you come into Washington stop at the Bellingham Truck Wash of Hannegan get your truck and trailer washed and you look a lot better crossing the scale at Bow Hill. I never had a problem there, but I have Norpass and usually get bypassed anyway.

CellNet Thanks this.
  4. Troady

Troady Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2012
    So no using Sumas by going thru I-5? It seems that by Sumas going down the Sr 9 there is no weight scale, am I wrong?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  5. gerardo1961

gerardo1961 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    miami
    Hi my question is .how much you spend on money.fuel.permits.... from Tx to Alaska for this Trip

6. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Cross the border at Sumas, WA or whatever Port of Entry is written on your customs paperwork. You have to cross the border that is specified on the In-Transit manifest.
    If you cross in Sumas, you can stay on SR-9 and get on I-5 in Sedro Wooley. Be aware the City cop in Sedro Wooley is DOT certified and picks trucks out for roadside inspections that come through his town. He knows exactly why you are travelling that way.

CellNet Thanks this.
  7. Troady

Troady Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Paperwork is made for Sumas.

8. Troady

Troady Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Ok everyone, I just got back to the US, the drive thru the Cassiar way who was indescriptible pretty, and after a night in Prince George, we drove Sunday all the way to the US border in Sumas, WA thru the ####### mountains, something very nice to see, only comparable to driving thru the Alps in Europe, lots of beauty although not much wildlife to see.
    We saw in total few bisons, one grizzly, one black bear, three mooses, one linx and few huskies, not much really but something you don't see everyday here in the US.
    On the way back we spend $900 in fuel and $89 on permits.
    That is so far the history of this trip, hope it will be of amusement to some and informative for other drivers willing to go to Alaska some day, good night to you all, may the force be with you.

9. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Thank you for taking the time to document your trip and share it here for all of us to enjoy.

kemosabi49 and dwells40 Thank this.
  10. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Welcome back. So glad you made it.

11. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    Thank you so much for sharing this adventure with us I personally have enjoyed reading it. Hopefully I will do the same thing

kemosabi49 and Young_Gun Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.