"Truck batteries only last a year" is my mechanic lying to me?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by makterna, Jan 21, 2022.

1. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Do you have an Auto Idle system? The Cascadia I had, the Auto Idle let the voltage in batteries get too low before starting up to charge. I think the constant deep cycling was causing the batteries to go bad quickly and need replacement. The company was clueless and would never bump up the voltage to where the truck would start sooner to recharge the batteries.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I only got 2 years on a set of Dekas. Interstate Workaholic Batteries have lasted me 5 years Minimum. And I was running 2 amplifiers stereo system.

86scotty, Rideandrepair and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Not just that. Lot of lead in most batteries and it's recycled, probably to make more batteries.

Rideandrepair and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Yep, scrap yard pays $10 or so. I don’t recall core deposits, till the recent 5 yrs or so. Actually scrapped some a few yrs back. Went to buy batteries. Ran back to scrap yard, bought them back. Lol. Almost cost me $$$. It was about an $80 difference between core and scrap price.

6. makterna

makterna Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Fail as in shorted cell, or fail as in worn out?

My truck was owned by the military before, and I dont think they would settle for substandard batteries. The batteries are not Freightliner original. Right now I am unable to check what brand it is.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. makterna

Sep 14, 2021
    I have not heard about different lead acid batteries requiring different charging profiles, and I have designed battery chargers for a living. Do you want to support that with a source? Sounds like something a seller of snake oil would want to have people believe.

AGM means "absorbant glass mat" and it is basically a method of preventing leaks and to allow designing the battery to be sealed (no vent hose, for vehicles that have that). It provides some marginal benefits but AGM or not, it is still a lead acid battery.

(I am assuming you are charging your batteries with either the vehicles alternator(s), or a charger made for lead-acid batteries - not with some random 20+ volt cable out of somewhere...)

Siinman and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. makterna

Sep 14, 2021
    No it doesnt.
    I dont know how the truck was used before me, but it does have ShorePower.
    It was recently parked for four months and after that it started immediately, and as far as I know they have not been charging it for me... That was three months ago and now all of a sudden it cant handle two days without losing charge. That tells me it must be a cell short in one of them. Or a parasitic draw, but the main power switch has been turned off so I assume it couldnt be that?
    Oh well, I will take back the old batteries and after charging them I will perform a condition test on them.

9. makterna

Sep 14, 2021
    Ok... What is it that taxis do differently? As long as the charging regulator is proving the battery with the correct charging voltage, I would have thought that they enjoy being in a car which is driving almost constantly...

I know the biggest battery killer is heat though. I live in Las Vegas where temperature gets over 110 F (more inside of an engine room I would assume), and I had a battery in one of my cars go bad in less than three years. While the batter(ies) in my Mercedes lasted 8 years. I think it is peak heat that kills batteries, like a day at the pool when your smartphone gives a temperature alert. I have found that every time after that happens the measured battery health is reduced.

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The output voltage of car regulators is often an unhappy medium for AGM batteries – too low for absorption, too high for float. Low regulator voltages around 13.5V are pretty good for floating AGMs, but will never charge them full. The higher regulator outputs of 14.4V are still a bit low for proper absorption voltage, but much too high for float.
    Because of the mentioned issues, an AGM battery is not a general drop-in replacement for a conventional flooded-cell lead-acid automotive battery.

11. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I had an issue kind of like this, it ended up being the cut off switch was bad. Ruined my batteries and would not even turn truck over at all. Replaced that and put new batteries in and have been great since.

makterna Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.