Truck body work repair issue

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gumper, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Some of you know I took out a deer with my W900 last Monday. I filed an insurance claim since that’s what I thought was the right way to do things, and figured it’d get fixed the right way. I stopped at the body shop today to see if they had spoken with the insurance adjuster. Turns out the shop and insurance agreed without my knowledge to just fix the fiberglass, and not put a new hood on. I don’t like this idea because the body shop will never had repairs that look as good as factory. It’ll be plainly obvious it was fixed when looking from the bottom at the fender, around the headlight and the radius of the fender. Also I could have just done that work myself for a heck of a lot cheaper than the body shop. Why should I bother having a claim on my insurance, and pay the large deductible when I could at this point do the same work in my driveway for less than the deductible? Is it unreasonable to want a new hood compared to patch work? My best analogy is if you hit a deer with your personal car would you want body filler repair, or actual new parts? For what I pay for the policy and the deductible I want new parts.

Feedman Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    It all comes down to cost in most cases. They won't fork out say $8k for a new hood, paint and install if it can be repaired for $2,500.

4. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    That’s my hang up. Why bother with my $2500 deductible when I could fix it myself for half that?

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Then go get it and fix it. An original W900 hood from Kenworth ain't cheap. I am not putting your truck down but a new hood, paint and installation will all but total your ride.

I just had most of a hood put on my 379. 16k later I have my truck bavk

6. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    New hood was about $4000. Can’t be more than $3000 to paint and install. I’ll just cancel the work then, and do it myself. Then buy a big ### grill guard prevent this in the future.

Tug Toy and Ruthless Thank this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    A Peterbilt bodyshop did the same repair on a Cascadia I was driving. Someone turned too early when they were pulling out, ripped out the headlight and busted up the fender and cracks up the hood.

They did a really good job. I was surprised.

Tug Toy and wore out Thank this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That's why I only have liability they don't pay to fix it the right way anyway. On a sidenote you can't hunt deer without a state license which makes them state property so the state should have to pay to fix it right?

mitmaks, Tug Toy and Gumper Thank this.
  9. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Unless the hood is totally destroyed, no insurance company is going to replace the complete hood.

It wouldn't be cost effective for them to do it, as they're in the business to take your money and pay the least amount of money out in a claim.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    No wonder nice Hoods sell instantly from the junkyard.

Didn't realize they were that expensive.

shogun, Tug Toy and Gumper Thank this.
  11. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Good point, I’ll send Montana FWP the bill.

It is a lot to ask them to fix my office/source of income to as good as it was before the incident. Especially after paying them $12,000 in March for the policy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.