Truck booted in Memphis as CO was fueling the recovered truck.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Knightcrawler, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Interesting article. Summery: truck was stolen from Chicago and left in Memphis. Company sent a driver to recover the truck. Went to a truck stop to fuel and pay for parking. WHILE he is doing that a towing company boots his truck and starts hooking to tow it. And the actions begins....

:happy1:

Driver stays in truck 33 hours to avoid being towed by A1’s

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    "A1’s said it’s following state laws that supersede city law and has filed a lawsuit against the City of Memphis, the Memphis Police Chief, and multiple MPD officers, accusing them of “weaponizing a civil municipal ordinance to discriminate against the minority-owned company.”"

"He said his company offered to pay A1’s $7,500 to drop the truck, but they were told it wasn’t even close to what it would cost to get the truck back."

"They were honking their horns and using the boom of the tow truck to shake the truck, so we called out the police. The driver wanted to file a harassment charge against them, and the police said that wasn’t enough to file a harassment charge,” the MHT owner said. “Our legal team told us because we were recovering a stolen vehicle, they cannot hold it.”"

"she was told it was too late and they were towing the truck. Her employer was forced to pay $12,950 to get the vehicle back."

These 4 points tell me all i bloody need to know about this company and its owners. They are basically targeting trucks then using force fear and mah race cards to more or less extort drivers. And these people operate nation wide and have on staff legal teams to try and intimidate officers, owners and drivers. Not to mention doing dangerious #### that could lead to damage to rigs and their trying to pretend they are above the law. Hell i would not be shocked to find they are stripping parts off towed trucks or intentionally damageing them.

Sadly a LOT of these tow companys are like this. Nearly 15k to recover a truck? Are you ####ing insane? One of these dudes is eventually going to go to hook to and try to extort someone with literally nothing left to lose. Then they are going to catch a bullet to the head. And frankly that is one instance when this happens when i am going to point and laugh. This is bloody nuts and anyone with any sense can see exactly what they are doing.

Then again this once again shows just how bloody broken out legal system ism

Freddy57, W923, misterG and 13 others Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It isn't the legal system, it is the state of Tennessee that's broken.

Memphis has some of the worst towing laws in the country, the state refuses to address the matter, and the state legislature needs to step in and tell Memphis and these towing companies that they are liable for the abuse.

We have a strict policy about Memphis and Chicago, you go in, do the pickup/unload, and get the hell out of there. If you are out of hours, you still get out of there. I will not let the trucks park or even fuel up these two places no matter what. Memphis is the worst one, we have had nothing but trouble there.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tennessee allows out-of-state towing companies to spend the weekends in Tennessee, towing vehicles. Nashville is a favorite spot because out of state clubs, religious retreats, etc. go there for weekend meetings. Towing companies know this and wait. They'll tow a hundred cars in just a few hours.
    Atlanta is just as bad.

misterG, silverspur and Bud A. Thank this.
  6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I’ve noticed that ever since that show that comes on the Weather Channel about tow trucks, these towing companies have gotten pretty big headed lately.

Freddy57 and TheLoadOut Thank this.
  7. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    The rub with A1 is they are staking out the parking lots and as soon as the driver gets out of the truck to go pay for the parking, they rush in, boot the truck and start hooking up the tow. Then they say the parking receipt is no good.
    The state should pass a law that states if you charge for parking, you have to have an attendant at the entrance to collect the fee.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Memphis is corrupt. Politicians probably getting a kickback from A1 Towing.

9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Like someone else said, one of those days, they're gonna boot the wrong guy. It's only a matter of time.

10. pete781693

pete781693 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2010
    I live in Memphis and HATE it here. I only stay because I have a good job and at my age there is no way I could find another job like this. We stay in at night and do all our shopping in daylight hours if we must get something that Amazon does not deliver.

I work 10 hour days, M-Th. Most weekends we drive over to the Knoxville area on Friday AM and return home Sunday evening do that I can be at work early Monday.

We will continue this for another 3-4 years until our son completes college. He has full ride educational scholarships but we want to make sure we can cover other expenses too.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, have to put the children first. I have one that will attend a university in two more years after completing high school. I'm an old dad.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.