Truck Collides With Plane At LAX

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, May 21, 2017.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Of course,you know someone is fired when they collide with a plane-especially a Boeing 737 with passengers on board.
    Plane collides with truck at LAX, injuring 8 - CNN.com

FAA regulations clearly state during airport operations that aircraft always have legal right of way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    The title indicates truck to plane. The posted link indicates plane to truck.

Even YOU don't know who to blame.
    Come on, MJD!

4. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    @KillingTime
    Before I became a truck driver I used to work for United Airlines at Chicago O'Hare International Airport and for a contractor at Boston Logan International Airport. When you are driving vehicles on the airfield side of the airport near taxiways and runways you are subject to operating under strict FAA rules and one of those rules clearly states that aircraft have right of way. Plus I actually took a couple of flying lessons myself (albeit in a Cessna 172-and even then I had fuel tankers and baggage trains yield to me).Since this plane had just landed they were they vacating the active runway and as such they had right of way.
    https://www.faa.gov/airports/runway_safety/media/Ground_Vehicle_Guide_Proof_Final.pdf

KillingTime Thanks this.
  5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Just pointing out, bud - and it does matter how you say it, a matter of semantics - who stuck who. The article title suggests one thing, the post title suggests another.

Sure, the truck was in the wrong, I'd guess that. And i trust your experience and judgment. It's just.... maybe you got it back-asswards trying to put it up?

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Did you read this line? "The right wing of Flight 642, which had arrived from from Mexico City, struck the utility truck..."
    The way it's written makes it sound like the right wing had just arrived from Mexico! I thought it was a funny and awckward way of putting it.

Raezzor and KillingTime Thank this.
  7. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Anyway you look at it. The FAA and Aeromexico (owners of the plane) are not happy and I guarantee you,someone will be fired. This wasn't a simple fender bender,someone damaged a relatively new Boeing 737 with a $96 million dollar price tag on it. With the wing and leading edge slat damage(at least $300,000 dollars,maybe more) that plane is going to be out of service at least a couple of weeks.

When you operate a motor vehicle on airport grounds you are expected to know these rules TO THE LETTER. NOBODY,and I mean,NOBODY wants to incur the wrath of an FAA investigator or inspector because if those guys come on the scene to investigate an incident or accident,then someone is in some very deep ****!! I'd rather deal with an IRS audit or DOT Level 1 inspection than the FAA!!

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    KillingTime and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    There is equal fault with the operator of the service truck (in the vehicle lane) and the pilot of the plane in the taxi lane...not an active runway BTW. IMHO, the utility truck stopped too close to the taxiway, but it was clear of the actual marked taxiway, the pilot continued on through the intersection without wing clearance striking and knocking over the service truck. The rules clearly state when a heavy is in movement any ground vehicle (excluding emergency equipment) shall come to a complete stop and wait for the heavy to clear the area. Since the 737 was taxiing, he should have been able to stop and have ground control move the utility truck clear of the intersection. By the video, there is no active runway in proximity so a plane stopping on a taxiway is common.
    Something tells me, this pilot (could have been the co-pilot, article and airline don't state who was "driving")...but this person will probably be going back to "ground school", or at least have to get his depth perception checked!

9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I hear what you are saying, but what if the truck cane in front of the wing after the ####pit passed? Quite possibly the copilot saw the truck and assumed it would stop, so they didn't try to stop the plane.

10. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Page 5 of the FAA guide clearly states that ground vehicles must always yield to moving aircraft. The flight was on the taxiway moving to the gate when the collision occurred(I didn't say it was on the runway,I said it had moved from the active runway to the taxiway)At LAX they typically expedite aircraft straight to the gate to get the runways clear ASAP so the next plane can takeoff of land(it's the 4th busiest airport in the country). And the runways there have high speed turnoffs so planes that land can move off the runway quickly.

11. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    If the truck would have been in motion it would not be laid over perpendicular with the travel lane, there would be momentum that would have caused the final resting place to not be in line with the travel lane, it would be "crooked" to the lane of travel. It was knocked over still in line.

If you look at the video, and pay attention to lane markings, you will see that the aircraft is on secondary taxi movement, not direct off a runway (no blue ground marker lights in sight). At LAX, direct runway exits do not feed to the terminals, aircraft have second and third approach taxi lanes to control and facilitate movement (at slower speeds) for terminal (gate) access. I have been a pilot for 35 years, used to fly commercial bank courier from Vegas to Ontario and LAX...I know those runways and taxiways well.

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.