Truck course in a community college outside my home state?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Beyondthehorizon987, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The DMV officers nit-pik just to fail them.
    Example:
    "What is this?"
    "Uh, that's the air pressure gauge."
    "Wrong, that's the air pressure indicator; you failed; schedule a new appointment."
    ~
    Have to do the pre-trip inspection according to that states booklet; not what you learned in school.
    Just garbage stuff.
    New Jersey is about as bad.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Beyondthehorizon987

Beyondthehorizon987 Bobtail Member

May 27, 2020
    That sucks. It's probably done to generate money.

4. randomname

randomname Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2014
    OP, you may have to pay higher tuition to attend community college if you are a non-resident of that state. It could be a non-issue, or your tuition might be several times higher than a residents.

Beyondthehorizon987 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Community college cdl school is a good option because they're cheap and have the reputation of graduating high quality students from the cdl program.

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This Tech School v Company financed school is a bit complex and there is no right size fits all solutions. It's just how it is. Some of these company schools are VERY good! This is what I tell prospective drivers when they ask me. Information is power. The more information you have the better the final decision is. In some ways, this is like buying a car. The first car lot you go to the salesman just as soon as they see that look in your eyes they know they have you! In fact, you are their dream! At this point, you have already stopped looking. Nothing wrong with this. I bought my last vehicle doing just that! It was the first vehicle I looked at. Still, I think in general it is a mistake to do. I know a year in a long career is not that long. But, it is a year where you have no flexibility and might place you in a situation of giving up a great job or going into some serious debt. So, I counsel people to exhaust ALL trade/Tech school options before going the company financed route. Some of these tech schools are first-rate and get their grads good jobs.

As to the out of state thing. Yes, it's true in most cases with state-owned schools you will face this. Still, the student aid takes this into account. My point? Well, what I am trying to say is if you can work out financing to go to a trade/tech school in-state most likely you can also do so out of state. The one drawback to this is room and board. Again, this is not about saying any such option is better than the other one. It goes back to getting the ENTIRE picture when it comes to your options. For most, the best overall option is company financed school.

7. Corn-Fed

Corn-Fed Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Big Clifty, Ky
    The way I had to do it when I went to school was I was provided a temp address by the school. I had my permit printed for that address. Tested out in school got my license with the schools address and went home and transferred it back to my home address. Not saying your way wouldnt work they do it all the time I imagine but I figure my way makes it a bit less stressful.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.