Truck Driven by Temporary Driver While in (Sleeper Berth) Reset...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jax Graddy, Jul 7, 2020.

1. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I don't believe that is 100% legal.
    Although easy to work around.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    The company PU is a commercial vehicle by definition tho.

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I would say yes, although I will admit it's not a specific inclusion in the regs. The regs do state the definition of on duty time is "On-duty time means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time the driver is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work."
    I would say one isn't relieved from work until the work pickup is back in the yard.
    Now if he took the work pickup home, yes I can see that being off duty.

That's company policy. No regs limit one to working 70 hours a week. One can work 168 hours a week if they so desire, they just need to take the proper rest (likely a 34 reset) before driving.

wis bang Thanks this.
  5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Just a question. But wouldn't he be "relieved of work" by the other driver taking over?

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    A cmv is any vehicle used in commerce with a gvwr of 10 ,000 or more lbs. A bus designed to carry 15 or more people, or any vehicle carrying a placarded amount of hazmat.
    It's a pickup, so not a bus. It's a pickup so unlikely carrying enough hazmat or over 10,000 lbs...
    It's unlikely a random pickup is an actual cmv, even if owned by a company.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  7. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    In the United States a vehicle is designated "commercial" when it is titled or registered to a company. This is a broad definition, as commercial vehicles may be fleet vehicles, company cars, or other vehicles used for business.

wis bang Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I would not want to be justifying it during an inspection....
    He is obviously relieved from the semi, but driving the company truck at the direction of the company? I think it would be a hard argument to make.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Try to make a NJ state Trooper [someone who considers himself on a par with God] that John Smith in a XYZ carriers uniform shirt driving a pickup registered to XYZ carriers 'off duty' at an accident scene....

and most companies would not have their relief driver bring Mr. Smith his personal vehicle.....

ZVar Thanks this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    A cmv has a specific definition from fmcsa....

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR)
    Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle—

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

(2) Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

(3) Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

(4) Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

11. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    Broadly defined, a vehicle may be considered a commercial vehicle if it:

• Belongs to a company or corporation
    • Is used for business, but is in an individual's name, such as a sole proprietor
    • Is a leased vehicle and in the name of the financial institution that owns it
    • Exceeds a certain weight or class and therefore, is "classified" as commercial even though it may not be commercially used or commercially owned. A weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more is always considered commercial[3]
    • Is used to haul any hazardous material
    A vehicle can be used for a business, if not exclusively, and remain privately licensed, depending on the amount of time used for business.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.