Truck driver turnover - why so high?

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by KRPS, Mar 25, 2013.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I thought about that too ... the individual needs to understand that there is the world driving for a mega-carrier and the small fly-by-night outfits (where probably 80% of the turnover occurs), then there is the world driving for the others; and the difference for the drivers is like night and day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roadreeler57

roadreeler57 Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Toledo,Ohio
    Why should they work 12 to 14 hours a day & the guy working at McDs makes more money per hour?...Everything always boils down to money...Pay a Man well & you will keep him..

J.Wick and Ford&JeepFan Thank this.
  4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    It looks like the majority of the reasons for the turnover are covered. Also as one mentioned, it's the mega-carriers (Swift, Werner, etc) that have the high turnover for the reasons mentioned. Starting pay now for a driver fresh out of driving school with a brand new CDL is actually LOWER now than it was when I started in 1999. Yes, that's right, a lower starting pay now than then.

Another factor is the regulations that are crammed down our throats by the FMCSA and DOT. Add that and the crappy starting pay on top of the fact that most people are just not prepared for this industry and the lifestyle, and it's a recipe for failure.

5. Newbeav Newbie

Newbeav Newbie Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Liz, I would say the reasons are: !)Long Hours, high stress, many grueling 14 hour days. 2)A big learning curve in the first year of driving-driving a truck safely takes skill and experience. 3)Time away from family. 4) Low beginning pay, although team drivers can do better than solo. 5)Near non exhistant vacation time. Also, you are dealing with shipping workers who can be rude, and often look down on drivers.

6. scratbandit

scratbandit Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2012
    You also forgot to mention that turnover in this industry is measured in all terms and lumped together. Accounting for training attrition and promotion is all lumped together. The only industry in the nation that does that. It's not just drivers but the sum of all employees that turnover has always been high.

7. BossOutlaw88

BossOutlaw88 Road Train Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Cali
    Another reason is that most new drivers have accidents, can't trip plan accurately, and pretty much some are scared to drive the mountain passes. Not to mention the change of season driving conditions and traffic .

Rolling the Smashed Pumpkin

mje Thanks this.
  8. Zen Trucker

Zen Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2012
    I think that is more than a tad overstated. I have none of those issues. You would have been much better off with "some".

Lone Ranger 13, Skydivedavec and mje Thank this.
  9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    What is the name of the company that you work for?

10. Oregon Grown

Oregon Grown Light Load Member

May 7, 2012
    lapine or
    Something that is overlooked by many starting out also is this, it is a job that you can get into a LOT of trouble , whether you are intentionally doing something wrong or just plain didn't know. Most jobs if you screw up or duck out for a smoke or what ever the case may be you might get written up....ooh big deal. But with truckin' there is no reminder or "hey get that fixed", it is a ticket right now. and most of them tickets are down right expensive to outrageously expensive. Plus with the truck it's a constant, something needs attention. lights are always going out, air hoses need changed, there is always, always some sort of repair that needs to be done to keep that equipment 100% in working order. Not everyone has enough mechanical knowledge to solder new lights in or change the headlamp or install a new mudflap. Or the time do so. You cant always pull the truck into a shop to get the little things done. The DOT knows this but they will surely capitalize on it none the less. So I'm sure there has been a lot of new drivers that had their wallet stomped on for something that their meager little paycheck wouldn't even cover and that was it for them.....Just a guess but I bet.:Transportation cost

tman78 and jjsiegal Thank this.
  11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    What recruiter told you that ? From a very reliable source
    http://www.thetruckersreport.com/driver-turnover-falls-below-100-yippee/

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.