Truck driving jobs and pay

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Abraham 17, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Figyeritout

Figyeritout Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2019
    If you want to make money driving a truck (from my experience) you need to haul logs or something oilfield related.

On the lower end of the spectrum, take home after tax is generally $3,300 per paycheck. (Net)

On the more average aside you're taking home $4,000 - $4,500/2 weeks. (Net)

On the higher end (I've only reached this hauling oil) is $5,500 - $6,500/2 weeks. (Net)

That's running hard. Chaining up often and being away from home.

When I was hauling chips and doing flatdeck super-B work out of Chilliwack, BC my checks were about $1,750 - $2,000 every 2 weeks. (Net). But I was home every night and that, at the time, was worth more than money to me. Now, not so much.

As you can see theres quite a difference.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Nothereoften Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There are many truckers who are just ordinary. They cannot be bothered to be rousted from the drivers room.

There are a few who are very good. Those are the ones you want to love on. The rest are replaceable in due time.

BigHossVolvo and upnorthwpg Thank this.
  4. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I've always done a 3/2 on runs to Alta from BC. At least it's a long weekend twice a month. Not sure if that's even going to be possible anymore with the new bull feces e-logs.

5. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    I got my AZ back in 1996 (23 years ago). I worked in the city at first for 4 years then Highway for 2 back to the city for now 17 years at a good paying union job. With that I'm earning avg. $6600/mth (including overtime etc..) However, I'm debating whether I should become a O/O in the next couple years? I figure with my work ethic I could bank $8000/mth for myself however there's no pension, much benefits etc. with that but I'm more of a saver so a pension really isn't everything like some think it is cutout to be. For you being 32 years old which is around the age I decided to stay and work in the city for the past 17 years it all depends on how hard you're wiling to dedicate yourself to your work. In life money can always be made but time can never be saved.!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2019
    Reason for edit: typos
  6. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    When you pay yourself as the employer, you have to make a matching contribution to Canada Pension Plan, that you as employee have to pay and take off your check as you become the employer again, and you as the employer remit both to the CRA.

They are thieves.

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I"ll let you do the math, I currently work hourly, 29.50 phour between 65 and 70 hours per week gross about 2,065 per week, I get paid for all time, pretrips, post trips , waiting for customers, loading and unloading times, or any other delays. Home every night off 2 days per week.

Centerline local also hourly 21.00 plus 1.5 for OT at Pepsi & UPS Freight , USPS. 35 hour per week average

At Legend i was paid .52 cpm ran to Houston and back to LA every 7 days, 3100 miles that's about 1612.00. Sleep in the truck, only home 34 hours every 8th day if nothing went wrong.

These aren't special jobs over all should be about average, Schneider, SWIFT and the rest pay less, Schneider offered me 42 cpm, SWIFT offered 48 cpm.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  8. jimbo47

jimbo47 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    southern MB
    my look at things im 60now drove for 40 yrs some good some yuck ,did 21 at one company till I woke up every morning wanting to go postal on the new generation management ,,in the last 12 yrs had a job that I thought would do till retirement hr pay ot after 42 no pay full medical plan...but alas 2 generation took over and killed moral overnight along with no medical plan....then gov contractor good job up north MB till gov shut own contract..NOw I run mon-frid for local grain hauler ,I run mb-volga older trucks but money is ok,no pressure and THAT alone makes an average job ok in my books. jimmy

9. Joncas

Joncas Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Hello new driver grad here!,

I have a company driver experience on a straight truck wanted to pursue a different working field but also driving a truck.

Hoping to get some inputs on which company accepts new drivers and how to apply to them. Any links that will be very much appreciated. And how much to expect as salary for newbies.

Thank youq

10. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Where do you live, and can you enter the US?

11. Joncas

Joncas Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Hi Sir,

I'm from toronto, and i have a canadian passport. Been looking for work but have no luck as of yet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.