Truck driving or not

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mototom, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    See I had one but the pay was so lacking I had to move on. Entry level IT pays decent enough I’d make my bills and get to keep learning at the same time. My spouse is a licensed cosmetologist and has a decent job whenever we move back into town.
    I loved sitting in the office all day just getting everything done, knowing everyday was a routine with just small variations.
    I miss college and I miss my 9-5 home every night.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Go to your home terminal, park your truck, clean out your personal belongings, toss the keys on the desk, and head for home.
    Two weeks after you're gone they won't even remember your name or what you looked like. You're just another one of many before you.
    You tried trucking and you gave it a good effort. It turned out not to be something you liked. No shame in that.

4. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    you have it figured out it seems, so what exactly is the issue?

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I agree wholeheartedly. I did a local job in Nashville for a year, and I was glad when they fired me. Everyone always says, "I'll get my one year, then I'll find something local." To me most local jobs dont pay that great. The ones that do, are few and far between. The only perk about local is regular hometime. For me, that isnt a good enough perk, especially when it's so hard to make it in this society. You gotta make big bucks. OTR is the most sure fire way to make at the very least steady money. OTR has the biggest demand

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN

7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    This is where the different strokes comes in, to some, myself included, a steady routine is just intolerable after a period of time.
    I know folks that love doing the very same thing day after day for years on end, it just was not for me.
    I know also it gives them a sense of security, I just never needed security, I guess I am lucky, I never had any trouble finding a job, even at a young age.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    IT and programming are different jobs. If you want to program for money just start programming stuff. You dont need to sit on a help desk reimaging computers. You do not need a computer science degree to do IT at all, but a software engineer it helps.

Write a program that takes information from a user, like personal information, store it in a database using a query language like SQL, then have a way for them to call information to display on screen using specified parameters like geographic location, Department they work for, salary range, etc.

9. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    The course I’ve looked at is IT but the application programming aspect of IT. I actually just talked to a recruiter for a university and it seems to be my best bet.

I’m not a genius when it comes to math, that’s one thing that attracted me to that field is the math is something I AM capable of. Physics 2 is just past my abilities to grasp.

I posted this form because I don’t know much about trucking I’m still new. I think I’ve found a local job that does have long hours but not so long it would be intolerable. I just have to square away my outstanding loans and enroll for 2020

10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Go for it! All speed ahead!

11. Mototom

May 7, 2019
    Got a call today the cost of tuition almost killed me 62K for a 4yr degree. I’ll be enrolling in 2020

I like trucking but I didn’t expect the amount of stress I’ve encountered out here. It’s not traffic it’s the shippers and receivers and the places never intended for big rigs to be on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.