Truck Frame Stretching

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by thomas, Jan 1, 2009.

1. 1999blue

1999blue Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2008
    quartzsite,AZ
    I found all the solution , will extend frame three feet at rear to connect the RV fifth wheel, Will post some Pic's as the project progresses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oldskool359

oldskool359 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2008
    St. James MN
    you know theres always them ppl out there that try to save a nickle by doing it themselfs and it ends up costing way more.......

well, thats kinda how my luck goes....

step father and i jus did one this summer in the shop, we setup a lazer and leveled the frame with big heavy duty jackstands and shims, took notes of the height, then cut the frame with a torch using a strait edge to follow, then rolled the tandems back nine feet and leveled them off again

next we used a peice of string and clamped it from the front of the truck to the rear, there is no engine or trany in it so that made life a lot easier, once we got it all parallel to the string we started clamping things together, going back and double checking frequently

we had 4 jackstands holding the tandems level and 4 holding the front half level and then clamped the peices inbetween, tacked them all together and SLOWLY welded it up to make sure nothing would pull due to the heat

sorry for the book, but let me know if you got any questions i would be glad to help

then like stated earlier we doubled framed it from the front of the rear spring hanger all the way to the front leaf springs, total wb was 300 when done, had to add 3 cross members and 2 hanger bearings (origanly there were no hanger bearings)

the worst part about the whole thing..... DRILLING HOLES! all frame holes are 5/8" and keep that in mind haha

we also had the 5th wheel and the plate that its mounted on was removed so that made it easier to put the string on

when you put your drive shaft on, you dont want it to go in a strait line front to back, step it down one section at a time otherwise it will viborate, go 1-2 degrees in the front section and then drop the next section another 1-2 degrees

sorry for the book, but if you got questions ill try to help

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  4. coadman

coadman Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Freeport,Kansas
    Interesting thread! I was curious if a person could do the opposite, very easily or not? I found a truck I like, but the wheelbase is longer than I need for my application. It is right at 265" and I would like to shorten it down to 230''-240". Could I have this complete job done(driveshaft, airlines, etc) for less than $3000?
    thanks,
    coadman

5. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    As mentioned in Post # 9, that is what I did ... went from 260" to 244" WB. It cost me ~$3,500, but that also included relocating both the pass. side fuel tank and the Rigmaster APU forward.

6. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Friend has 99 Pete 379 with a 240in. How much do you think it would cost to go to 288?

KH

7. Hibred

Hibred Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Canada
    A buddy of mine had an older Kenworth shortened, he removed the bunk himself and had a fellow come and cut the frame using a torch, he welded it with not insert at all, claims he has done many this way with no problems at all, little scarey to me. He had less then $1500 in total although he did most of it himself.

8. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    wow, scary indeed hilbred. whatever works for him may not work for one of us hence the saying each to his own.

KH

9. S-AOW

S-AOW Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Ikeja, Lagos
    Hey guys, I'm new here abouts. I just like to know what the advantage is, of having a long frame(wheelbase), say -260"; for example. to a shorter one 0f say 189".
    Thanks

10. BrainHurtz

BrainHurtz Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Terre Haute, In
    It's almost always application specific, as in its not that making the wheelbase longer is better, its that you can't do what you need to do with a shorter wheelbase because whatever you're doing doesn't fit on the chassis. From things as mundane as hauling a new trailer with a really large overhang to putting a monster condo sleeper on the truck.

Of course there is always putting a body on a truck or adding pusher axles, tridems, and the list goes on...

The exception to that statement is that a longer wheelbase can be more comfortable on highway (especially with a set forward axle) because the frame has a natural spring to it.

11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    About a month ago, I pulled into the OklahomaCity Petro. I parked next to a Mercer truck. It was a red flattop 379 pulling a 48 flat. It had the 3 ft boxes that doubles as steps and the driver was sitting out back, relaxing. The area between the cab and the 5th wheel looked like it was big enough to sit and tan and have a BBQ. I asked the guy about his wheelbase and he said it was 290 inch.

Perfect.

Got a 244 inch W900L midroof that I would loooooooove to stretch to 285-290.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.