Truck gps

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lonewolf2000, Jan 13, 2018.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

My RM 740 has a "truck info" section where you tell it your truck/trailer details like length, width, height, hazmat type. You can also tell it to prefer freeways or smaller roads or prefer neither. I'd say you are safe picking either Garmin or Rnad units. If you don't have experience using a GPS you will learn to do things their way and that will be your normal.

I believe the Garmin gets weather and traffic data on FM sub-carrier while the Rand gets that data, if you want it to, via wi-fi, so your phone is the source.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I’ve had good luck with Garmin maybe it’s just because I’m comfortable with them.
    They aren’t correct 100% of the time common sense has to come into play also.
    When in doubt pick up the phone and call your customer.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  4. RustyChops41

RustyChops41 Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Clovis, CA
    None of them are perfect. None. Just use them for your overall routing, but trust your eyeballs at all times. When leaving truck stops, my Garmin DEZL sometimes wants me go the opposite way on the interstate, one exit up, and then turn around, despite the proper on ramp staring me in the face. Go figure. One other thing I recommend is looking on Google Maps (satellite view) at any shipper/receiver to get a handle on where the truck entrance is, etc. It is often NOT at the actual main address, and sometimes not even the same street.

tscottme and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  5. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    It was tossed about, but RM does not warn of vertical warnings. The RM will not route you on that section. Some and I use the term Some vertical, weight, and other restrictions are missing. Coming into the digital age, somehow they got missed going into the data. At least once a month users on this site find one and it is missing. RM then researches it and if true, will add it to its incremental updates (quarterly). A lot of times the user has old map data or have not updated the units when they get them.

I take reviews on Amazon with a grain of salt. One user gave the Rand a one star because you had to have a hotspot to get Traffic or weather.. Another it would not route her to her house. We looked that one up... her neighborhood had a truck restriction... Of course it will not route her, but the Rand got the blame.

All in all any GPS unit is a TOOL... none are perfect and Maps are never and will never be 100% perfect.

tscottme, Steel Dragon and TaterFox Thank this.
  6. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    People swear by paper maps, by the time they make print they are out of date. They are constantly adding, subtracting and changing roads daily.

Roads are too dynamic to have a paper map. And what good does preplanning your route with a paper map do you if you get to your exit and its closed due to construction and the next sign you read says "Next exit 39 miles?" GPS gives you instant reroute. Paper maps youd have to stop and look and read and such. Can't fumble with a paper map while driving.

So while you're rerouting yourself on a paper map on the side of the road I'll blow your doors off with my GPS giving me an instant reroute.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.