Truck info for NYC.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MACK E-6, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Royedw

Royedw Bobtail Member

May 2, 2008
    Lynchburg, VA

Nice post,.. thanks!!:biggrin_25525: I'm sitting in Bethpage waiting for a load outta here, that after telling my dispatchers when I was hired in July I don't do NYC or NJ. Freight is so slow that when the dispatcher asked me if I'd run this load on Saturday and I didn't hesitate to say "yes"!

Now all I have to do is find some PIZZA!!

Roy

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigrigdriver229

bigrigdriver229 Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2008
    watervliet, ny
    If you know your going to be getting a load going into any of the 5 ( ManHattan,Bronx,Brooklyn,Queens,& staten Island ) not including Long Island. set back in the bunk and read the map, buy a NYC map if you have to and preplan your trip even if it takes an hour or two. as once you get there getting to the side of the roads are like not happening. learn it and do it. after you have gone there several times it will become normal. I have been there done it. But to be honest, my betterhalf who also drives is from the CITY, she tought me what I know about NYC, believe it or not. you want to see a woman drive big rig fully loaded into the city call her up she will get you in and out for a large price tag LOL:biggrin_25520:

4. WildRose

WildRose Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Hartford, CT

Baack Thanks this.
  5. steelersfan

steelersfan Medium Load Member

May 9, 2009
    BRIDGEWATER, NJ
    Remember in NY trucks use expressways NOT parkways

6. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2009
    virginia beach, virginia
    I do NYC 1-2 times a month and I never trust the 1 foot rule as stated here it is 1 foot more than stated most of the time but not all. If it says less than 13 6 I always go slow and look. Rule in NYC is if you don't think so take it slow. It's usually just the super truckers that crash into stuff. Use common sense and you will do pretty good. Slide the tandems up and take your time. I've had ordinary people help me make a u turn when my GPS sent me the wrong way. I find the people (blue collar) to be very nice and helpful if you ask them.

John

7. roadrunna985

roadrunna985 Bobtail Member

May 25, 2009
    ellenwod,ga.
    yeah i clear them all running that b4,i wonder do those new gps system warn you of the clearance in the apple?....im born and raise there but never but once or twice had to really drive a truck through there

8. Mike101

Mike101 Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Quincy Mass.
    I remember the first time i ran the B Q E i kept getting off and on, reading the 12'6" signs i was shaking thinking i was going to rip the roof my sleeper. Then a driver told me just look at all the parking lots going down there, made me feel much better. Still i can do without any N Y to much tax and tolls just run 287 to go to work or on my way home (boston) thats enough N Y for me.

9. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Ran the GWB yesterday then down to the tri-burrow. I have to say it wasn't AS BAD as I expected, but I never want to go back again. There were several narrow streets that I couldn't make my turns without smashing things so I was hitting the flashers, backing up a little jacknifing the rig, then going again.

10. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    it's no longer the triboro it's the rfk bridge they wasted $5 million to change all them signs!

11. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Where I crossed and leading up to it still said triburrow. I know because it's what I was told to watch for and I was paying very close attention. went over it down to grand and then on over to metropolitan. For the most part it wasn't that bad, except the street address was their local drivers exit, so I had to make the block (some tight corners) and go around across a SMALL draw bridge or whatever those things are called that split in the middle lol. Anyways the clearance was marked 13'5 if I remember right and all the trucks that went across it had # least a foot of clearance.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.