Truck info for NYC.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MACK E-6, Aug 14, 2008.

1. lowjo

lowjo Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2009
    arkansas
    had a delivery in lower manhattan my buddy behind me missed his street,ended up on that prkwy,the 1 or something..
    the cops chewed his ### but luckily didnt write the ticket. (prkwy fines steep to the 20s)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mattydoo12

mattydoo12 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2010
    i dont no if this has any place in this section. . .but my Question is , i am 28 years old, i live (born and raised in nyc), and i have a cdl-a, i cant get a job to save my life. . .driving a t/t, everyone wants a year or 6months of varifi experience. . .how do i get the experience if no one will let me drive. . .ps i also (and understood) its not the same but i have as an emt been driving an ambulance for the past 6 years. . . that is running emergency call threw the city of new york. . .and i dont no what people think but lights and sirens people dont get out of my way and then they use me as a blocker . . . my point is , i took many leasons to learn how to operate a t/t and i earned a nys cdl-a. so why wont aNYONE GIVE ME A JOB. . .PS IF ANYONE HAS A JOB. . .over the road local or regional, anywhere east of the rockies. . .maybe west . . . i will work. . . thanks for ur time people..

4. tk40176

tk40176 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't have any problems getting around. :biggrin_25522:

But - I would like to clear up an urban truckers' myth about NYC bridge measurement being from the truck / trailer axle and up. NOT TRUE! :biggrin_25511:

It's almost written in blood since almost every truckers out there probably have heard it so often. You can blame former NYC mayors (especially Ed Koch) when they promised their voters "No New Taxes!" - meaning they weren't going to raise new taxes. What the did find was funds set aside for bridge repairs (because there were none) among few others and just keep throwing layers of asphalt over the old without scraping the old layer, was saving them a bundle. Little did they know when it'll come back and bite them. (former mayor Dinkin found out) Now they actually scrape the old layers of asphalt before laying down a new one.

There are few "Parkways" where CMV can go on but technically not a "real" parkway. One in Long Island and one in Brooklyn. Care to guess? :biggrin_2556:

Hell what do I know?:biggrin_25523:

5. tk40176

tk40176 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY

Actually most major motor carriers should hire you as long as you're clean. (license, criminal record, former employments, etc...) Gotta know what you like and what you want to do?

Want to run hard, wake up in any god forsaken hrs and deal w/ignorant hard ons day in and day out? Be a chicken hauler and pull a reefer - pretty much always running like a chicken w/ his head cut off. Won't sleep right but always running.:biggrin_2556:

Don't mind getting dirty and get a little physical? Could get hurt and you have to use that good old noggin for something other than to hang sunglasses + hat. You might have to look for places that doesn't have an address yet and will definitely ruin your designer clothes but at least you could rest at nights / weekends. Be a skateboarder and pull a flatbed.

Want to sleep at nights? Don't want to get your hands dirty? Don't like working? Low IQ :biggrin_2551: or thinking gives you headaches? You could always be a freight hauler and pull a dry box. ::biggrin_25513:

You you dare! Meaning: don't mind working your butt off, young, strong, full of c......, take on the world attitude, great people skills, all you can be, sharp as a tack, don't really want to drive all that much and don't really want to hang around smelly truck drivers all that much. The few, the proud, The BED BUGGER and pull a household trailer. :biggrin_25514: (residential or commercial movers)

Think about: how long you want to stay out, what areas you want to run (in all 4 seasons), how hard you want to work, what kind of equipment (crappy or state of the art) you want to operate, which side of the law you want to run on? Then find carriers that offer training in that field....BEG BEG and BEG them to take you under their wing. :biggrin_25514: Get knee pad and K-Y. (Home Depot + Sears are good) Truth of the matter is: be humble, lower your expectations ($$) and learn in earnest for couple of years. After you've paid your dues, you are welcome to be cynical, belligerent, condescending blow hard we call DRIVERS!

g.o.a.l and HardLuck Thank this.
  6. Long Hood

Long Hood Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    WI
    They've been measured like that since the 40's and everything was concrete

7. Long Hood

Apr 26, 2010
    WI
    I must be a freak. Been run'n to NYC just about every week out of WI for the last 20+ years

8. Long Hood

Apr 26, 2010
    WI
    btw....buddy of mine got popped on a seat belt violation as he was pull'n out of the Point last week. City cop of all things.
    Just a heads up.

9. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO

I'm glad I'm in the habit of when I reach for the brake knobs the seat belt is already on! I don't move the car, truck or P/u without the belt on! Heck I've even reached for it on the freaking bike! ROFLMAO!

10. HardLuck

HardLuck Bobtail Member

May 12, 2010
    Rancho cucamonga,CA

Which lot's of newbies didn't think about this anymore:biggrin_25513: Good advised there driver!

11. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    If a taxi driver pulls under your trailer while you are waiting for a traffic light in NY, if you can run over him the cops will give him a ticket.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.