Truck Load Rates Halt 8 Week Slide 2.0

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 7, 2020.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    @Dino soar
    I just think that with time and enough observations we are able to judge based on a gross alone what that gross means. It gives us not only a rough idea of how much that person made but also how hard he worked. We can do it because we presume all other things to be at some recognizable levels. For instance, if someone runs a dry van regionally or OTR on the spot market, it should be more or less easy to guess what his numbers are. Presumingly.
    By the same token, if someone says that he generated $280 000 with a dry van in year on a spot market...I'd prefer to respectfully clap my hands to applaud and congratulate rather than dismiss it entirely but I'd have some reservations nonetheless.

Midwest Trucker and Dale thompson Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Everyone has their own methodology, obviously.

I have my own excel sheet (I created) that I use by which I track every load, mileage and expenses for a given month. These snapshots are basically how I break everything down on a monthly basis. As has been noted, fixed costs are just that, they're fixed monthly expenses. They may change in any given month due to paying off a piece of equipment, etc. However, for the most part they don't change much within a given calendar year.

Variable costs are the one's that fluctuate from month to month for obvious reasons.

Wages and benefits have some fluctuations, however, for an owner operator I've always encouraged someone taking a reasonable salary and benefits draw spread out evenly throughout the calendar year. If a person is struggling month to month to just take a reasonable wage out of the company each month, they got problems.

What's leftover is profit and subject to additional potential tax liability...

My practice has been to evaluate where I stand towards the end of the year with my cash flow (money in the bank and on the books) and decide what's in my best interest from a tax liability standpoint and act accordingly.

This is my for what it's worth Thanksgiving Day contribution ;-)

Attached Files:

4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Joe I am not at all saying that you are incorrect.

I just do it differently.

Myself every load I do I figure what it will cost me in fuel and tolls and that is the profit. From that the fixed expenses are paid and my salary and whatever else.

The reason why I don't like gross is that let's say we're looking at a load for $2,000. Some would say that is $2,000 of Revenue.. I don't see it that way.

For myself a $2,000 load could be something you make a lot of money off of, or a $2,000 load could be a 2000 mile load that you make a dollar a mile or you make $0.50 a mile.

So for me if I say the load paid $2,000 but I'm making x amount after Fuel and tolls, that's my number.

And my loads are shorter loads so I really don't figure a cent per mile cost the way that guys that run longer distances do. I figure a rate per day.

And that's just the way I run my little short run operation here.

I'm not at all saying you are incorrect.

That's just not how I do it.

stuckinthemud and TallJoe Thank this.
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I noticed that you listed your health insurance cost as a line item.
    This reminds me of something I need look into fast.

I buy my insurance through Obamacare. It is Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois and it costs me $750 per month after tax credit. The entire insurance coverage price is $1400 for myself and my wife and the kid was redirected by Obamacare to the State Program which is called here All Kids for which I pay additional $40.

Due to the fact that this year my business profit is much higher and also my rental property pending sale will increase my personal income, I am likely to lose a large portion of the tax credit, if not all of it.

I need to look at a possibility to include health insurance as a line item too. It probably varies from a state to state but I need to learn if in Illinois it is possible to purchase an insurance as a 1 person corporation and then insure myself and the family and mitigate the increased costs by shifting it into the business side.
    I'll speak with my current tax preparer first.

Dale thompson and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm an employee of my S-Corp.

My income is made up of 3 parts:
    1) W-2 wage
    2) Per-Diem
    3) Shareholder Distributions

I do everything I can to legally minimize my tax liability.

I hate paying confiscatory taxes ;-)

Dale thompson and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    After re-evaluating all the real numbers (close as possible) associated with running a truck as an owner operator, and paying oneself a wage and modest benefits, if you're running at $2.00 (or less) all miles, you're on crack, and should check into a rehabilitation program as soon as you can.

8. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm afraid that all of these recent glowing rate postings, etc, are luring the vulnerable into a trap.

If you've been recently exposed to the "Gold Rush Fever", I'd encourage you to go into quarantine immediately! ;-)

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Strictly allegorical, of course LOL

10. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I don't know about anyone else but I think anyone that goes into this right now has got to be completely mentally insane.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.