Truck Load Rates Halt 8 Week Slide 2.0

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 7, 2020.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am really surprised by some many votes for yes (sell). Established business base and know-how, good ethics and young age are all good foundation for further development. Brokerage aspect is a cherry on the cake. I don't know what money is involved and don't want to know but unless it is $2, 000 0000 or close I don't see how the money could persuade me to sell something that essentially is a successful venture.
    It is still a valid question of what to do after...at mid 30's it may already be too late for a lot of alternatives.

On the other hand, in this trucking biz nothing can be take for granted and there is only so much a business owner can control...e.i. not much he can do about regulations, labor law, freight market (as opposed to less competitive fields) etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Joe, a successful business is worth the most when lots of money is rolling in, and the potential for growth exists. If the market flips and things slow way down, the company wouldn't be worth nearly as much, but when that happens equipment values also drop and it's a perfect time to buy new equipment, hire new drivers, and start the process all over again.

My brother and I started an insurance agency with our dad when I was 20 years old, and we sold it for a lot when I was 50, which allowed us all to retire comfortably. I got bored and started trucking at 55, but I think I'll go back to being bored.

4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    @Midwest Trucker

The little bit that I know of you I highly doubt you would sell unless they gave you an amount of money that was so insane that you literally just could not say no. Like enough money to last you ten lifetimes or something.

I would imagine the hardest part would not be watching the trucks go or any of that but watching the team that you assembled go to work under someone else.

And if somehow you did sell it the question is not what would you do. The question is what would you not do!

If it was enough money to retire on for real and you're in your 30s, you could invest in real estate and the stock market and whatever and continue to build wealth while you pretty much live a life of leisure doing whatever you want whenever you want however you want, stress free, and if you choose to start again you have that option also.

But I don't think you're going to do any of that I think you're going to keep going and I think you just mentioned it because it was just something interesting that happened.

Truckermania, dwells40 and PPDCT Thank this.
  5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Don't underestimate boredom. I had a great job I could've stayed at for the rest of my life a few years ago. Everything I wanted, 2nd shift, over 6 weeks vacation, driving line haul and actually driving about 2 hours out of an 8 hour shift. Insurance, 401k match, all of it. I hated it. It was boring and I had a boss. I wanted to make my own way. You only live once and it's not how I wanted to live the rest of my life.

Then i started this O/O bit. I love it. I get bored when I'm home for more than a week. Midwest, if you ever sell I'd start right back up smaller and do it as you want to do it. Do you drive? You can drive 3 days a week as an independent and find balance, at least I can. I feel retired all the time because I do what I want to do everyday.

6. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Unless you're hell bent on staying in trucking, take the money, there are lots of other business' you can get into with less stress and better margins.

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    If you guys know anybody who wants to buy a trucking company with few 20 years old Volvos and no direct customers, let me know.
    Gotta be enough money for me to retire at 36 though. I will go back to my Eastern European country and become a mayor of my 10k people village.

8. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    . I’m assuming the rent back at the motherland is considerably cheaper than Wixom.

tommymonza, 86scotty and PPDCT Thank this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Hey, how do you know about Wixom??

PPDCT Thanks this.
  10. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    You told me once that’s where you keep your trucks.

DUNE-T and PPDCT Thank this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Take the money and retire outside the US where you can live like a KING for cheap. I hear Costa Rica is good. Friends family spends a few weeks their every winter

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.