Truck Load Rates Halt 8 Week Slide 2.0

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 7, 2020.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Alaska, western Canada, Baja California, etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Have some long time friends that just retired to Costa Rica and love it. They have a strange rule down there that if you're not a citizen, you need to leave the country for a few days every month or two. Since I'm a pasty white guy that burns like a lobster, living full time on the beach isn't my thing other than Hawaii for a couple weeks every year or two. Not sure I could handle living away from the US unless it goes full commie, which I don't think will happen in my lifetime.

PPDCT, Brettj3876 and TallJoe Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I love Caribbean too but not sure if I wanted to retire there as a gringo. Most of those are banana republics, you can't be sure of any stability. Dominican Republic seems pretty stable politically but even there I noticed that there was too much contrast between those living decent life and those in poverty. Merciless, medieval type of poverty. I paid a local resort worker to take me on a private trip to Santo Domingo. If, at least, I could be a little shorter...but being a 6'6" white man - an Eifel Tower attracting all kinds of people to sell me a rosary on every street corner...it was not even funny. All in all, they seemed friendly people.
    I loved their cigars.

5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    I don't think i could either Lol. I burn not tan. 70 is about perfect temp for me. I'd rather put an extra layer on to stay warm compared to 90+ everyday

D.Tibbitt and SteveScott Thank this.
  6. bigtravelr

bigtravelr Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Costa Rica is awesome however it has become extremely expensive over the past 15 years.

Columbia seems to be the best bang for your US dollar right now.

We built a very basic house near Liberia Costa Rica several years ago.

It's pretty easy to qualify for residency so you don't have to leave every 90 days and you get cheap health insurance.

I think the next time rates Peter out I'm going to take a few months off and hang out there for a while.

dwells40, tommymonza and SteveScott Thank this.
  7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    P1160881.JPG P1160899.JPG P1160946.JPG
    I got a sailing buddy that just got back from a couple years doing Central America on the east coast.

He loved Nicaragua, it was cheap but had been developed unlike Honduras.

Costa Rica is too expensive.

I'm doing my own sailboat in five years. Meanwhile I have a buddy from Australia we stripped and totally rebuilt his 40 footer a few years back, all new everthing

He just retired and wants to shove off next year for the Bahamas Caribbean Central America.

I'm his number one crew and mechanic so probably do some winters sailing with him until he is sick of it.

Best boat is someone else's boat.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Dino soar, TallJoe, 86scotty and 6 others Thank this.
  8. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I never had the patience to own a sail boat. I've crewed on several, but never wanted the responsibility of the maintenance and upkeep required for the wood and sails. I stick to power boats which is more than enough for me. My best friend and I co-own a 35 foot Bertram sport fisher. He lives on the water and we keep it at his house. It has twin gas big blocks, and other than engine PM's and bottom paint every few years, it's fairly easy to take care of. It's great for SF bay and ocean fishing.

[​IMG]

TallJoe, 86scotty, Brettj3876 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Boat: bust out another thousand. Lol sorry:D. Me and water = no go, almost drowned when I was 12. Still scares the #### out of me

10. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I've been a sailor for 50 years, grew up sailing and cruising the great lakes on my dads 48 foot yawl.

I bought a trawler a couple years ago but sold it to my brother after a couple months. If I am going 8 knots I want a sail and have endless range.

Nice Burt.

I used to work for Paul Mann back in the 90s during the winter..
    Paul Mann Custom Boats – Only The Best Can Be MANN Made!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    TallJoe, PPDCT and SteveScott Thank this.
  11. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Sounds like excuse not to shower. Truckers. Lol.

86scotty and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.