Truck Load Rates Halt 8 Week Slide 2.0

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 7, 2020.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    BTW
    There is a very good movie about a family's lumberjack business in Oregon with Paul Newman and Henry Fonda "Sometimes, a great notion".
    Here is the trailer

SteveScott Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    It will never happen. There are too many carriers based on the west coast that use lumber loads to just cover fuel costs heading back to California. It's a really sweet deal for the lumber companies.

4. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    That was a good movie. All of the leading cast members are gone now. Lee Remick was a hottie.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Just a cursory look at DAT shows there's plenty of van loads out the L.A. basin that are paying at least $5.00 a mile right now to the NW. Stringing a couple of loads back down for a $1.70 a mile average isn't too hard if you play it right. That comes out to about $3.35 a mile on the round-trip average. Which I guess isn't too bad for someone who wants to just do a round-trip of 2300 miles every week on that lane.

But what do I know, I haven't hauled a load for going on 5 mos now! LOL

dwells40 and Dale thompson Thank this.
  6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    What’s it look like out of central point right now? :D ;)

SteveScott and Scooter Jones Thank this.
  7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Really good fishing, that's for sure! ;-)

8. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    I'll be there Monday afternoon. I'll send you a status report. :p

In all honesty, the next 4 days will be my highest earning since becoming an O/O, and yes, one of them does pick up in Central Point. I will gross more today through Tuesday than I've ever made in a 7 day week. Wonder how long it will last?

9. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Good for you! All you guys seem to be riding some really good waves right now.

I thought I read where you are selling your truck & trailer and going back to home business?

Dale thompson Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    Yeah I'm still planning on retiring before the end of the year. If the freight market was doing horribly I'd be out now. I figured as long as I have the truck and trailer, I should put it to good use while things are flying high.

11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    A good friend of mine who hauls gasoline/diesel locally, told me that his company gave him a $4.50 an hour raise on top of what was already a very nice hourly wage, benefits, overtime package. Dude grossed $97,000 last year (he sent me a copy of his W-2) and is at home everyday by 4:30 p.m.

He was working for a local company 4 years ago shuttling dry vans around before he took the gas hauling job and asked for only a $2.00 an hour raise. The owner said he "couldn't afford it." He is now making double what he was at the other company.

Dale thompson and dwells40 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted