Truck Load Rates Halt 8 Week Slide 2.0

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 7, 2020.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I don't consider it quasi-business model it's just that some people have different objectives with their business is all. All I ever wanted was to call the shots and do it my way and I've been doing it like that since 2011. That is enjoyable. I don't want any more responsibility than what I've got because if I go there then it's right back to being a prisoner of the work same as an employee.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I understand business as something more than doing something for a living. Different ambitions and objectives. Different kind of thinking in accomplishing them. I call it quasi because I don't have those ambitions and objectives, neither do I aspire for any of that, yet at the same time I try to learn, understand and absorb the business thinking in what needs to be done. The most I like about my situation is that I am completely independent from anybody else. I don't have bosses and I don't need to take anybody's command. The only commitments and bowing are involved when I pick up a load and before it is delivered.

Lostkeys and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  4. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    Higher rates are a direct result of limited capacity. The easiest way to ensure that balance is to STOP trying to maximize your work load. Too many people trying to get all they can as fast as they can will hasten the market swing in the other direction. IMHO

5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    The short week did a number on capacity enlight of high demand. If you took this week off it was easy profits lost. Although full disclosure I did keep most of the fleet grounded on Monday. Family time is important for everyone.

p608 and SteveScott Thank this.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Now you gonna make feel bad about loosing easy profit not working between Christmas and New Years

dwells40 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    :D

(Edit) Darn you.

Dune, we all know you already make the big bucks. ;) You deserve a week off.

DUNE-T Thanks this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Anticipated that one lots of places were closed Monday and the freight reflected that. Taking a really nice profit on 700 odometer miles out from and right back to the house this week. I'm ready for another 4 day weekend haha

dwells40 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Ha I am taking the whole July off except doing some maintenance and emails here and there. Working 80hrs per week for the last few months started to wear me out. I need a mental break.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  10. Buckeyes614

Buckeyes614 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I remember 2018 was an amazing year, I was lazy taking lots of days of thinking the rates were gonna last forever, then 2019 hit, complete downturn for the trucking industry, lots of small companies to medium sized companies went bankrupt, celadon sudden bankruptcy shook the entire trucking industry, knowing how things can change fast I'd rather work hard now more than ever.

11. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    2018 was the year I decided to become an O/O. Not because of the rates, it's just when I was ready. Quit my last job January 1st and didn't get my equipment until September. It was frustrating as all get out waiting so long to get everything together. By the time I hauled my first load, the rates were dropping like a rock. I didn't make much for a couple years, but it sure felt good working for myself again. I had never worked for anybody before getting into trucking. It really sucked, but I needed the learning experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.