Truck Load Rates Halt 8 Week Slide 2.0

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Still waiting on my two trucks built 6 weeks ago. No eta available. :|

That’s pretty crazy what Volvo said about no new trucks next year. If that type of thing really happens and shortages get much worse, I can’t even imagine.

If this vaccine thing happens too, rates could triple.

JolliRoger, Lostkeys, dwells40 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Let's hope so!

dwells40 Thanks this.
  4. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Haven’t booked a load since 9/15/2021. Thankfully my last round was very well. Open deck is slim Pickings in the south east and loads that should be paying well even in slow times are below what they should and moving off the board in no time.

5. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I'm truly surprised at the rates dropping for any mode of transportation right now. EVERYTHING is increasing in price. Food, water, gas, electric, parts, fuel, shops etc etc. Anyone lowering their rates at this moment is a fool. They should be raising them to compensate for the rising costs of everything else both for personal needs as well as operating expenses.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  6. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    I agree with you. It’s pretty interesting.

7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    If the rates are dropping on my lanes, I don't know why I can't see it. Perhaps, the reason is that I never reached the real peak of it. As I mentioned earlier, out of convenience and for the peace of mind, I stick to bigger and recognized brokers, often utilizing their bidding and "click&book" tools.
    This method is more effective for dry van freight as the volume is substantially bigger than open deck and reefer and so called broker - carrier relationship is not something that either party looks to attain as it might be with the other two. Perhaps, I defaulted to work with big brokers because getting better rates from small guys was not any more effective than from the big ones and at the same time the level of various concerns, justified or not, was quite higher. Or perhaps, being as anxious and overconcerned, as I tend to be, I did not try well enough. But who knows, maybe those working with ma and pa brokerages or @Midwest Trucker are doing hell of better than I was...

This week, I left on Tuesday with a load from Milwaukee, Wi area to Williamsport, MD that's 740 miles for $3600. From there I took a short haul of empty pallets to PA 175 miles for $1250 and with little deadhead, I found a load home 710 miles for $1750, which I took despite good opportunities to go further east for Friday deliveries, such as York/Carlisle PA - Boston, MA that paid around $2000 for about 380-400 miles.
    But this week for me: $6600/1800 all miles:
    Tuesday - Friday with 3 nights in the truck.
    In my book, everything is up to the level as in the recent months.

Yes, the parts shortage and this inescapable concern of a faraway from home brake down spoils the overall good mood. That's especially true for a solo o/o who can't just take another truck with a tow bar and get the things resolved in a matter of days. Renting a truck is not going to be easy and towing anywhere over 100 miles would hurt badly too. Therefore, those who are new, starting with recently acquired used equipment, be ready to spend as much as $10 000 - 15 000 for one remote breakdown...such as turbo and charger cooler replacement on trucks older than 2006 and what is worse, be down for weeks.
    But we all know that taking risks is inseparable element of going forward faster than others.

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Reefer is fairly flat down south. Demand not there. They could probably cut the rates a dollar a mile or more and cover the freight.

ProfessionalNoticer and PSM379 Thank this.
  9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Shippers are trying to push the rates down a little on the west coast, but they aren't having much luck. I booked a load north out of NorCal yesterday on Convoy for $6.50 per mile on 500 miles, and then the load cancelled. They relisted it this morning for $3.50 per mile with a pickup later this afternoon. I bid it up to $6.25 and just won the bid. So they saved a few bucks but I still got a great rate.

After I unload them, I grab a load south from my contract customer, then pick up another load north off Convoy for $5.75 per mile on 878 miles. Then another contract load south. Busy week, but a very profitable one. Trying to get a few bills paid before I retire.

JolliRoger and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  10. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    they are definitely doing that with open deck and they are getting it moved, or the broker is pocketing the difference. Plenty of desperate folks that are desperate for work and can’t pay there bills unless they haul a load and factor it right away.

11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am not sure what the discussion of rates falling is for. Are you saying that bad times are already present? I am not sure about open decks but surely you are not finding loaded miles for less then 2 dol even when getting out of a dead zone. Everyone is saying how easy they make 30k gross per month.
    I'd be all right if things are like that for a long time even with 20k on 5-8k miles.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.