Truck Load Rates Halt 8 Week Slide 2.0

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 7, 2020.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    It was a good decision, whether it was intentional or not. You acquired a tool designed for a specific utility and you started using it. You did not contribute to inflationary processes. The two most essential duties of a citizen is to work and defend the country against the enemies. The cult of work is the salt of a developed country nation. The work must not be a pseudo, parasitic in its character - speculatory practices of all those very few who try to get rich at the expense of the many. If everyone was a Wall Street shark performing barren operations from the point of you of building national wellness, we'd progress nowhere in evolution as a society.
    In certain ways, I have more respect for a career long brick layer than to Warren Buffetts of this World.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I don’t see a difference in making $40k from selling one truck versus making nearly $40k over what the used market was for my old truck before things went nuts. I did contribute to the inflationary processes, only it was with my old truck which you deemed to be fine to sell for an inflated price. That’s the only thing that doesn’t make sense to me. I was selling one truck no matter what, and I chose to sell my old one at a very inflated market value. One could argue that I did more of a disservice to the industry by selling a truck with 600k miles on it at an inflated price versus selling a new truck at an inflated price. At the end of the day, it was just money and it was going to come from somewhere and end up in my account.

Siinman, dwells40 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    A used truck sold for an inflated price is a second hand commodity that already contributed to the economy. The speculatory margin will be absorbed because it most likely contributed by its utility to the economical system multiple times more than the original price it was ever bought. That's all right to sell it. Selling a new one for a higher price is different because that equipment has not contributed to the wealth of society and someone wanted profit on it without working it at all. By selling it, a parasitic speculator destroys the proper allocation of wealth in society. However, the difference is rather subtle and might not be noticed without a glass of a scotch.....lol

5. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015

This video is a year old and I guarantee not many people watched this video a year ago.

rollin coal and Siinman Thank this.
  6. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Are you serious about watching this dude? After a minute it was too annoying for me. Was there anything that guy said that someone with half a brain would not know? He sounds like one of those who are badgering me to sign up for their dispatch, every day.

SteveScott Thanks this.
  7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I would reverse the question. Why do we choose to use load boards/brokered freight aka spot market vs.

a) being leased on to another carrier
    b) finding our own customers
    c) being company drivers - those who may claim to bring the same or better money home?

Is it because we don't know any better?

8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    The main thing is that if we don’t have anything to offer other than a truck we are simply a commodity. And an abundance of any commodity will saturate a market and cause prices (rates) to drop. If people would’ve paid attention a year ago then they would’ve been able to see what would happen and what the results would be of a record number of new entrants entering the industry.

People that own businesses can sell a service, the rest of us are simply a commodity.

As far as your other questions, personally since I have nothing to offer other than my truck I choose to lease on. It’s consistent money without the wild swings of the spot market. It’s money I can count on every day I’m away from home.

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Completely agree Joe. The narrator seems more interested in throwing out various terms for how he sees truck drivers as a means to impress poor stupid drivers with big words. I did well in trucking utilizing my own clients "and" using spot market freight. Even when you have contract customers, sometimes things happen and a return load is cancelled. Contract customers require planning ahead usually, and customers on both ends of your route don't always align up, so that's when the spot market comes in handy if you don't want to deadhead very far.

Dino soar and TallJoe Thank this.
  10. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    That's right but let's not forget that some of us who are on the spot market, decide to be on it for those golden moments when us as a commodity are valued much higher than those who are leased on. Sometimes, it depends on the very lease too. There are good carriers and bad carriers to lease on to. Some of us are not leased on to because we decided that it was better to be on our own than try yet another company to be disappointed with. I am not too sure that I could find a carrier to lease on to that it would make me happy. There are more sides to it than just a steady consistent flow of money in times like these. We would have to compare the long terms of 5-10 years of an average spot market o/o vs a an o/o who is leased on and hauling contract freight, to see what brings more rewards.

11. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    In all fairness he was also talking about growing and not remaining a one truck operator. And if you’re wanting to have a company then being reliant on the leftovers 100% is a failing proposition.

You offered a service to your customers, you weren’t just a commodity in the market. The point of me sharing the video was that maybe if more people understood that then maybe there would be fewer jumping in when the spot market is hot, causing less of a struggle for those reliant on the load boards during the down swings. Regardless, there’s information there even if some don’t like how it’s presented. But the fact that others relying on the loads that make it to the boards and the ones that tell people to factor to get their money quicker have way more subscribers, and that’s telling of how the industry is going.

rollin coal and Siinman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.