Truck Load Rates Halt 8 Week Slide 2.0

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Scooter Jones, Mar 7, 2020.

1. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I wholeheartedly agree with Midwest Trucker. The carriers a shipper uses is a direct representation of their supply chain and ability to reliably get their product into the hands of the their customers. In this day and age you don't just need the latest and greatest product as a manufacture or distributor, you need to be able to get that product into the hands of consumers quickly while being dependable and flexible.

Too many shippers are trying to win the race to $0 on their freight spend, and it always ends up biting them in the tail. They end up being penny rich and dollar poor because they choose a low cost carrier that cannot execute, and they lose business because of it.

alds, Coffey, Ruthless and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    The way I see it, both Dave & Midwest make valid points.

For example, say a TM for a brick mfr moves 20 loads a week to the east coast, to be stock in a supply yard. Is he looking for the best (cheapest) rate he can get, sure, low dollar commodity, little time deadline, little chance for damage.

On the other hand, a peach grower or a berry grower, with a limited growing season, needs to move his perishable commodity quickly, on-time, with no damage. He's likely to use a proven carrier who's dependable, knows fruit, and will deliver the product undamaged every time. Is he willing to pay more for this service, I know I would be...

alds, Coffey, Midwest Trucker and 3 others Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I run into both kinds of shippers. It all depends on the product being moved and the value of it A shipper wanting to move 20 tons of bagged top soil or dog food won't be nearly as concerned with the quality of the carrier as somebody that wants to move something like wine or dry food goods. Just about any shipper will buy into the sales pitch of a sweet talking broker who promises to move their goods for a lot less than they're paying now. Then when they realize it was BS, they go back to the better carriers.

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    whoopNride Thanks this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Seems like it always goes back to supply and demand ultimately.

Customers demand for product and shippers/producers of said product(s) available capacity at any given time.

The O'Jays on their hit song, "For The Love Of Money", coined the phrase, "that lean, mean, mean green Almighty dollar, money mean green".

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    What I appreciated about the guy was his honesty with regards to not slashing his rates to meet TQL's lowball offer to the shipper he had been faithfully serving for 6 years.

He said he knew that with his 10% to 12% mark-up, which is fair in my opinion, the company's and owner ops he had been working with on that account would take it in the shorts if he matched TQL.

Mean, lean green...

PPDCT Thanks this.
  8. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    I've lost customers for the same. They usually swing back around when things fall all to hell.

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    How often do you haul $10,000,000 load with your million dollar policy?

If you'll give me the name of the $10,000,000 per load customer, I'll see if his loyalty lies with you.

Money talks, BS runs a marathon.

alds Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    But here's the thing G, we're one of the most expensive carriers there is.

11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I think you misread my post. Your example was $100 per load over 100 loads. My example was $100,000 per load over 100 loads. My cargo policy is $150,000 but most are $100,000.

Dale thompson Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.