truck not moving while in gear

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by united972, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Don't have a clue.
    But I hope your a company driver.
    Big repair bill.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Keep us posted on what it actually was. If truck seemed fine when you stopped, could be pinion, be odd if snapped axle without feeling it but not impossible. Usually this type of breakdown is a larger one, gonna come out with a decent bill and a repair story.

4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
  5. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    He didn’t come back to this thread you wanna know why?

Because one of his drives was off the ground. Someone pointed it out he locked his diff and got out of the mess he was in.

I say that from personal experience and I’ve seen it happen usually at a slanted dock driveway. Now it’s funny but at that time I was hearing a noise too but the truck wasn’t moving.... because the tires were hanging up

Edit: he couldn’t have snapped an axle after he had parked maybe if he was stuck at some point and ended up bouncing the truck that happens. Usually when we off road to our off road rigs

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    What kind of hauling do your off road rigs do?

7. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    That's helpful.

SAR and spsauerland Thank this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    My understanding from when I took my 4th year HD was a lot of differentials are damaged when bumping docks. That shock of the sudden stop coupled with low gear, low RPM torque and 34,000+ lbs of weight pushing down on the drives can easily tear ring and pinion teeth in a higher mileage differential.

SAR, wore out, xsetra and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Had a o/o three weeks ago snap an axle in the parking lot. He was empty, slight incline, but issue was ice in parking lot. Shank his foot into it at wrong time empty stepdeck no weird angle or anything just hooked up at wrong time and twisted. Good driver, been around a long time but it happens. Differential was locked it due to snow and ice. Probably would have been better off with a little weight on drives.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  10. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    shock loading is what breaks rear end parts they rarely go out under steady load without warning. spin or jump a tire can snap parts like glass.

Isafarmboy, SAR, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  11. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    That is true but many things in the drive train can crack from a shock load. Then the cracked area continues to work and crack. When the amount of material left is not enough to carry the load it snaps off.
    Often the driver gets blamed for what a previous driver did.
    The color of the material in the crack changes with age and gives some history. Maybe some one else can share some failure/analysis pictures.

AModelCat, spsauerland and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.