Truck question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Fare2999, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Fare2999

Fare2999 Bobtail Member

Oct 19, 2017
    I just brought at 2001 Freightliner century with a 12.7l Detroit engine with 435000 miles. Was told it was the original engine in it. How can you tell and was told that it has to be E log install. Was wondering the price for it. Thank you much!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You can't tell.

You did have it checked by a mechanic, have a dyno and blow by test and th Ecm dumped to see if there are problems?

If not, then I would consider to return the truck.

4. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    The engine has a serial number and a manufacturer date on it, they all must so the Enviro-Nazis can determine what emissions standards are applicable to the engine.

Most engines have a manufacture date one year earlier than the truck they were installed in, that is because the engine is a manufacturer date and the trucks are year models that frequently come out 6 months before the actual calender year.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Elogs are pretty cheap Keep truckin has an app that work with their ELD box you run it on your phone with Bluetooth connection I think it $200 for the ELD box the app is free then a monthly fee I think. ZED has one that you buy the box and no monthly fees. I believe that ZED is Cummins. You always has big boys Qualcomm/Omnitrac their like $700+

If your 2001 truck has a 1999 or older engine you don't need ELD.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.