Truck route violation

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dewey120, Nov 28, 2011.

1. misc

misc Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2010
    600 bucks isn't much money, and I'm willing to spend it to keep a clear record. Particularly if that spotless record pays off down the road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    To each their own.

Seems to me that when you get done with this, post the result.

Prediction: Fine is still there.

Attorney Fee: 600.00.

End result, no change.

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    LA with all their expenses. I doubt they budge much.

Remember, the cop was waiting on him. Sounds like a regular deal.

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  5. misc

misc Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2010
    It happened last May so I know the result.

Ticket dismissed, no fine. I pulled my MVR in October to get my current job in North Dakota and it's free and clear.

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Congratulations, but was it in California like the OP?

I have not had a ticket since 1997 and never as a cdl. Never have used an attorney.

7. misc

misc Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2010
    It was in Los Angeles. Ticket issued by CHP.

8. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Might not have been a "fine"....but still $600.00 not in your bank account today....or yesterday...

And you think that 1 point violation would have kept you from your current job? doubtful it would have effected anything...since the "new job" is in Dakota not CA...and 1 point wouldn't have effected any other job change either.

If you can't "argue your own case"...what's the point?

The courts have a system in place, you can "be represented" or you can file for trial under "Pro Se"...representing yourself. For a traffic ticket, with the minimum fine about $145.00...you spent $600.00...the difference is $455.00...about one days work (drive) in CA. so who really "lost out"? Certainly not the attorney for 15 minutes time in front of a judge, if he even went to the court house....probably handled it over the phone.

9. misc

misc Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Maybe I'm wrong. I've only been at this for a year and a half, but at this point I still think aggressively protecting my CDL is a better strategy than not.

I know my current employer won't hire anyone without a good record, and that's for oilfield work. He's scared spitless of CSA 2010 because he got hammered during an DOT audit last spring.

That route violation isn't the only ticket I got out of. CHP also got me for speeding last year just south of Grapevine. That ticket also magically disappeared after I forked over 600 bucks for an attorney. If those two violations were still on my record, I wouldn't have the job that I have now.

Considering the wages I'm making, I consider it money well spent.

10. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Since you are "admittedly" prone to violations...in your case...maybe it was...even just for the point of "covering up" your checkered past as far as driving a CMV is concerned!

So $1200.00 invested to keep your record clear, so you can go to work for an outfit that also "evades" legalities....I guess you found your "perfect employer"! So much alike....rules are made to be broken I guess!:biggrin_25513:

11. misc

misc Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2010
    My point still stands.

If you get popped for something in southern California, an attorney can make it go away. The going rate seems to be $600, which is in the neighborhood of what your fine would cost.

I gambled and spent the money on an attorney. In both cases it worked to my advantage.

Considering that you started driving back when hookers and uppers were considered standard issue trucker accessories, I'm surprised you're so uptight about all this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.