Truck runs like S@#$

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Zethull, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Zethull

Zethull Bobtail Member

May 26, 2023
    KY
    1999 cummins n14. Last trip is was random misfire then when i came to a stop it acted like it ran out of fuel and died. Took fuel filter off and it was little over half full. Started back up and seemed fine then 5 miles down road another traffic jam and it did it again. Fuel filter was almost empty this time. Got it home replaced every line on truck including check valve. 2 months ago i got a new fuel pump. Had injector cutout done and they told me 6 and 3 were weak. I changed 6 but didnt do 3. I cant imagine a weak injector causing the fuel filter to go empty. Highway heavey told me i could send pump back in and they would check it but i would need to buy one just incase it isnt the issue. What would cause the filter to run empty besides air or a bad pump?? Also looking for a machanic in KY that knows these engines.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Fuel tank pick up tube. If you have a Davco I would also take a look at the check valve/ball, clean, and maybe replace. Check the bottom of the tanks to make sure there is nothing in there like a piece of rag......

4. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    It's normal for the filter on the N14 and 855's to run partially full.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Zethull

Zethull Bobtail Member

May 26, 2023
    KY
    Checked valve and its fine. Had pickup tubes out of tank and those were fine also

6. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Start with ignoring the fuel level in the filter, that's not a sure sign of anything.

Make a fuel line you can connect straight from the pump, drop it in the tank, secure it, and test drive.

If your problem remains, you know it's pump forward, if it solves it, pump back.

7. Zethull

Zethull Bobtail Member

May 26, 2023
    KY
    When the truck idles is diesels pretty bad also. Been told it could be bad fuel but this has been going on with the bad adle for awhile and plenty of fuel through it.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    How long does it take to start slobbering fuel into the exhaust and what RPM are you letting it run at when parked?

9. Zethull

Zethull Bobtail Member

May 26, 2023
    KY
    Not sure what you mean about fuel slobber, but it misses and stumble at idle then at 1000 higher you can hear it miss randomly still. I havnt drove it after i replaced all the lines but can tell its still jacked.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    When you say dieseling I take that to mean its slobbering fuel out into the exhaust. Most engines will do that if left to run at low idle for extended periods. If its missing bad at low idle then that would explain it.

11. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Do what i suggested. Start with the basics before you run off down a rabbit hole.

Isolate the issue to one side or the other.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.