truck speed in michigan

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Dover, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Dover

Dover Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I heard today that michigan raised the truck speed limit from 60 to 70 mph on i-94 and i-196/31 is this true

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    I have tried googling it and so far have found nothing but old stuff. If you can't find out, you had better wait and see a for real posted sign with it on it before you speed off.

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Can't find anything on it but sure would like to see it . Sure would be an ego bruiser to those Canadian and BFI drivers that have been running the hammer lane passing all the drivers observing the 60 mph limit

5. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    i was just up there monday delivering grand rapids the signs hadn't been changed so not sure.... i ran what the sign said....not like i could do 70 anyway but everyone around me was doing 60 as well

6. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    After reading a couple of the old articles on Michigan, it sounds like it is a trap the cities like in order to have tickets written when the speed is really low. It sounds like some of them were not wanting to do a study on some of the roads to see what the common speed was during the day per Public Act 85, these roads I think were in the city. A couple of people challenged their ticket because the study had not been done and thereby the speed was illegal; the judge through the ticket out.

But you know truckers will get stuck dawdling along because you are trucks. And yea my husbands is governed too.

7. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    No, truck speed is still 60.

What you may be referring to NW, is a section of road that is set low speed that people getting tickets are contesting. There was a local piece on it recently, but it was a 25 or 30 mph limit and people were doing 35 - 40, and someone tried to make the argument that because most people go faster, the speed limit should be set to the higher speed (supposedly a study testing method to find a driver acceptable speed) but they are 4 wheelers who don't like being speed limited... Imagine that. :D
    :biggrin_25517:

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Is it true that the reasoning for the split speed limit is because of those trucks that haul the heavy weights with the multi axle trailers?

9. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Who knows the rhyme or reason, I figure since this is the land of the liberal democrat, they believe that myth of safety having trucks drive slower than cars....however, Michigan does allow 160k multi-axle trucks so it could be a reason. Used to drive a walk-off to a land fill like that....but the Michigan Sleds could be the reason also.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  10. jake.dontbrake

jake.dontbrake Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2012
    Was just up 94 to 69, was 60 whole way from what I remember.

11. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I live in Michigan and they might as well raise the speed limit. Trucks do 65 anyways, and cars do 80.

In fact, from a non-biased observation of how people generally drive in different states, I'd have to say Michigan has the fastest drivers. Cars will do 80-85 all day long on any given stretch of interstate, and trucks are stuck doing 15-25mph less. I have to drive an hour down by Metro Airport to get to work on Mondays where my boss keeps his truck, and I'd be doing 70 down US23 in my pickup, and other cars will generally fly by me doing 90.

Then you get to states like Texas, where the speed limit on some of the roads is 75, and I don't see a lot of vehicles doing more than that. There seem to be more people going too slow than too fast.

Michigan did raise from 55 to 60, and I think either they should lower the car speed to 65, or patrol the roads more often to keep the speeders to a minimum. I don't like people going THAT fast.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.