Truck Stop Cowboys

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by jon69, Nov 28, 2020.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Awww... did someone spit too close to your flip flops o_O

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    All buckle and hat. No cows.

4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    The OM has thrown more chains than I have hours in the seat.

5. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    I spend my life driving around the places you describe. Unlike places like New Jersey, or Deetroit, people in flyover country enjoy talking to other drivers instead of starting out being distrustful or unfriendly.

Getting in yer business - whatcha doing, running drugs or cigarettes? They're probably just trying to be friendly, or talk to another human while they've got a chance to.

Dressing western is normal around here. Wheres it normal to dress in sweat pants, a crusty t-shirt and flipflops?

If one of these "cowboys" are looking at yer equipment, chances are they see something thats either different, unusual or broke. It can't be broke though, cuz every driver does a pretrip every day.

Or, they drive a long hood and wonder why anyone needs nose mirrors on a slope nose, until they see the scratches and crumbly plastic on places on the corners.Later, theyre gonna tell their cowboy buddies "you ain't gonna believe what I saw today".....

Call them a "varmint" to their face, and yer gonna have a bad day. Just sayin'.

6. hiredgun

hiredgun Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2014
    SEMO
    Exactly

mjd4277, JolliRoger and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I agree with LoboSolo. The majority of those dressed that way are likely gonna be some of these friendliest ones you'll ever encounter. I am biased however, being a cowboy during various periods of my life. I used to raise black angus cattle.

I share those guys perspective on many things, including an absolute sense of wonder that some human beings think New Yawk City is something special or somehow a desirable place to visit or live. We don't understand the draw.

I don't dress western much, but do wear cowboy boots sometimes along with a typical rotation of other shoes. Occasionally wear a stetson but not often away from farm or horses.

I think your comment really alludes to some personal dislike of cowboys, I think it is really hard to interpret it any other way.

Where are you from?

John E., MNTSIDE, mjd4277 and 18 others Thank this.
  8. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    They don't think they own the place. You're just seeing a man walking with his shoulders back, chest puffed out, and a purpose in life. If one of these guys comes up to talk to you, maybe you should listen.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    6BDEF572-422D-4F83-923D-387D3165A09D.png Don’t Judge a Book by it’s cover. Truckdrivers of all people should understand that there’s all kinds of different folks, good and bad everywhere. Even in Detroit or New Jersey. You’ll never know, unless you start living in the real world. Not just the cyber world. Good respectful Conversation is all but lost. Especially with the youth. A casualty of the internet. My Dad always wore polished Boots, snap button shirts, it was a matter of pride. Never could get him to give up the Old Spice, Lol. Besides the Boots are good for killing ####roaches in corners. I prefer a good pair of Ranchers myself. Something with a good non slip sole. No flip flops or sweatpants here. Now that I’m older, less pocket T Shirts and more casual shirts with a collar. I’m slowly evolving. Lol. I draw the line at suits and ties. To each his own. Whatever floats your boat. Just ask this Guy.

Blue jeans, John E., alds and 12 others Thank this.
  10. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    I think I kind of get what the OP might be referring to in his post. Most of us old farts in life remember an era when the whole "urban cowboy" look was the rage. Pretty silly, nothing more than a short lived fashion fad. I have got to admit that whenever I would see some of the young guys walking around the truck stop decked out in pristine cowboy attire looking like John Travolta, I would always wonder.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.