Truck stop polishers

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by freightlinerman, Mar 10, 2014.

1. RunFlat

RunFlat Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    I remember being with my father a long while ago, we were in Georgia at a Pilot (I think) we stopped at the blue beacon, got his truck all washed then drove over to truck parking to get something to eat, while he was locking his truck up a guy approached him saying how nice his truck was and how much better it would look polished. Dad agrees to his price, we go in to eat (everything locked in the truck btw) come out the tanks got the same faded aluminum look as they did before, go over to the passenger side he polished a small circle in the tank bout the size of a basketball and he was no where to be found. Good thing we didn't pay up front.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Drivers girl

Drivers girl Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Ky
    Of all the people I know, the ones who were the most giving to others have been truckers and bikers. The very ones who a lot of society frowns down on.

4. UrbanCowboy67

UrbanCowboy67 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2014
    CHICAGO, IL
    I worked for a Petro in Illinois and we had the worst scammers at night. From lot lizards to "polishers." Be careful sometimes they wait for you to pull your wallet out and then pull a knife on you. We used to chase them off the lot with wrenches all the time. Like #### roaches when you turn a light on they scatter. The worst was some techs I worked with that would hook up with the lizards. Used to make me sick. My advice when these people magically appear is to clean your truck yourself. Before you leave for the run and after the run. Never pay someone that is wondering the lot, unless they present a legit business cert or something proving they aren't some scammer.

5. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Totally agree. And I'm kicking myself for falling for a scam a few months back. Was adjusting my tandems after scaling. I know what I'm doing and don't need any help, even when the slide is being stubborn. Along comes this guy (assumed driver) wearing a Jesus shirt. Well, I fell for it. He asks if I need any help. To be nice, I say not really, but sure why not.

I tell him what hole I need to go into. Moving tandems forward. He's saying don't you mean move them back? No, I need to take weight off my drives, so moving tandems forward. The lever comes out easy, I place a glove on the ground that I use when looking out the window (this shows me HOW FAR to go forward or backward) and bam! It's done first shot. He releases the arm and I lock in. Done deal.

Now the fun begins. He asks for money because he needs to get lunch and doesn't have any money. I say what the heck and offer him 3 bucks. As I'm opening my wallet he's looking in. He asks if I got any more than 3. I say no. He says well how about if I give you the 3 back and you give me the 5? Jesus shirt. Driver. Offered help. I cave in. Sucker me. Never again! SCAM!

6. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    How is it a scam if he asked for money,and you gave it willingly?? There is a difference between being a sucker and getting scammed. The Jesus shirt should have given it away....

UrbanCowboy67 Thanks this.
  7. UrbanCowboy67

UrbanCowboy67 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2014
    CHICAGO, IL
    I guess I should call them suckers instead of scammers. Just didn't want to offend anyone.

ncmickey Thanks this.
  8. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    While back I picked up two rolls of quarters. I was wiping the old tractor down when two kids on bicycles stopped. Couldn't be more than 8, maybe 10. Must take a lot of money to wash that. I saw the wonder in their eyes. About 15 dollars I guess. The braver of the two said, the fella that owns it must make a lot of money. The other one said, he makes enough to pay this old man to wash it. My heart swelled. Boys want to see inside a real Big Rig? Looks like a palace. The brave one said, Your too old to drive something like that. Probably right Son. I squeezed out the shammy, put my towels in the plastic bucket into the side box. Well guys better get this truck home, so long. By Mister. I charged the stacks with propane, hit the lighters. Those kids will never forget visiting that old man and the rich guys truck. Don't tell them, I won't.

Drivers girl Thanks this.
  9. Drivers girl

Drivers girl Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Ky
    Another bit of advice to avoid being scammed by a "polisher"/"cleaner"/ect. is to ask if anyone has had work done by them lately or pictures of their work. I had many drivers willing to give references and many times I had before and after pics of my work. Many times I wouldn't even do my own advertising. Drivers would even offer to let other drivers come look at their trucks to see my work. I would even have days that I wanted to take off and would get a call asking me to come clean trucks.

I would even have my boys with me sometimes and it got so drivers would bring them gifts or treats. One of their biggest memories though was the driver hauling tractors who let them climb inside and see them.

10. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    Oh wow, "these people"? Is that how you refer to new drivers? I guess I don't have equal rights as a driver, I didn't pass your test.

11. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    World out there is nothing short of a pig pile ,

One scam after another .

Trust no one

UrbanCowboy67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.