Truck stops 25 years ago

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Bronco5097, Nov 20, 2007.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    If you notice; everyone is shying away from the term truck stop. Most are truck plaza's now.:biggrin_2556:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bronco5097

Bronco5097 Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Tempe,Az
    Auto/truck stop I think that was it!

4. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    My family took several real road trips every year. Our familes lived all over the country and we stayed in touch. We would travel 2 or 3 days to get to a family pig roast, bar-b-que, crawfish boil, etc. My parents always stopped at truck stops. Most of them were actually secure and clean, because people cared and took care of each other. Drivers took care of each other, too, and were usually pretty friendly to others on the road. Truck stops were not only places for fuel, but you could see drivers had friends sitting at the counter and were welcome there. You could always spot them. Most wore cowboy hats, baseball caps and heavy work boots back then, and all of them had a coffee thermos. Waitresses actually wore real uniforms, were made up well and had their hair done and SMILED!!! They knew drivers were a long way from home and only wanted a good meal and to relax. Not to mention they actually cared about your coffee cup or iced tea glass being full. Kids would get their cheeks tweeked or heads rubbed by a smiling trucker walking by your table. And that was acceptable and friendly. Food was good, trinkets, mints and gum around the cash register, bobble heads for sale, folding road maps in a rack, and a trucker that didn't mind giving you directions or a warning if you were going "north of here" because of hazards he just passed. An old juke box in the corner playing "North to Alaska" and "Abeline". An old woman who had been "Cashier" there for over 35 years and loved truckers and children. Trucks were Macks and Diamond Rios.

Nowa days, it's only a convenience store with extra parking and more fuel pumps, and a small fast food joint with some idiot who can't count, trying to take your order. It'll never be the same again.:biggrin_25513:

5. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

6. Bronco5097

Sep 30, 2007
    Tempe,Az
    Im so glad others feel the way I do!!! "Change" is hard ! In 25+years in Trucking I seen alot. Some real good !!! Some real, Well I'll leave that alone.

7. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    This does bring back some nice memories...
    [​IMG]

8. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    hmmmm it is missing the 3 before the 9!:biggrin_2556:

9. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    A convenience store with extra parking....... 3 exits away on the get on ramp.:biggrin_2559:

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

But think of the exercise you get walking to the restroom.

11. Bronco5097

Sep 30, 2007
    Tempe,Az
    What a great picture !!! You really made my Day:biggrin_25514: Thank You

old-school Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.