Truck stops with hiking trails! For dogs and their truckers.

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by PermanentTourist, May 18, 2019.

1. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    Well, if you're fishing on private property WITHOUT the owners permission, you are trespassing. That's a whole 'nuther thread right there.

But your described situation is not what happens with a truck driver walking to a body of water from a truck stop 1000 miles from home. I've been driving coast to coast for many years and never stopped at a truck stop that had an RV park with a lake. And even if it did, that driver would have to check in at the front office, not just prance in with their fishing pole and sodie water and cast away. I don't know a single driver that has ever done that. Because to fish in the pond you usually have to pay for an RV spot, private RV lakes are not for pedestrians, they are for customers.

The basic rule of thumb is this: if you own the entire pond, and the pond isn’t connected to public waters by a stream, river or canal, you don’t need a license. But if water comes directly into or flows out of your pond, and that water is accessible by the public, you need a license. But all of these rivers, lakes, etc that the person was talking about that he fishes are all public bodies of water that require a license.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    northstarfire0693 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Perhaps one of the best finds.

Both eastbound and westbound rest areas at mm177 on i80 in CA provide access to the Pacific Crest Trail. A 2600 mile trail that follows the mountains from the Canadian boarder in WA down to the Mexican boarder in CA. It intersects many other trails along the way as well.

On a map it looks like there's some rail tunnel trails 4 miles south.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  4. PermanentTourist

PermanentTourist Heavy Load Member

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    New spot

Boonville, Missouri, I-70 exit 176, Pilot

Behind the truck stop, walk like a quarter mile on a quiet industrial road, you end up on the Katy Trail. I walked three miles or so all the way down to the Missouri River, and a nice old abandoned rail bridge

20221031_151055.jpg 20221031_140558.jpg

5. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Starting beside the TA in Greenland NH there is a gas line blazed along behind the businesses next door that goes along quite a ways and joins up with the power line. It's a nice hike out and back, you can go back to the other side of the truckstop thu an atv trail on the way back or just a short hike out and back on the atv trail. Screenshot_20221110-201053_Maps.jpg

6. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    I'm more impressed with the fact that you managed to find parking at the Greenland NH TA. That is a truly legendary feat

7. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
  8. PermanentTourist

Nov 9, 2016
    48 states + Canada
    It's basically just a random loop around the neighborhood. Often with no sidewalks,might be unsafe at night, and nothing you can't figure out yourself with google maps.

9. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I stop there on the way south for fuel and take my 30 minutes. Usually in the middle of day it's ok. At night,,, forgetaboutit

PermanentTourist Thanks this.
  10. JimbobCrow

JimbobCrow Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2021
    Marathon gas station on the KY/VA line/Pound Gap on US23. A trailhead for the Pine Mountain State Trail/Great Eastern Trail leaves out of the west side of their parking lot or across the street at the church going north.

Studebaker Hawk and silverspur Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.