Truck stuck on 2” of ice.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by YoungGAtrucker25, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Don’t worry spring is coming......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Didn't know there was any other way to put on chains?????

4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    I dont even own them.

Rideandrepair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    You can do that in an I-Shift (Volvo) as well... I do it all the time. Pull it into manual mode shift to 3rd or 4th and just ease on to the throttle the tiniest amount and you will walk right out of ice... Provided your not melted in more than 1 inch... More than that usually requires adding a healthy amount of sand, salt, fertilizer, gravel, or some such grit to get a little more traction.

6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    But all Volvos don't have manual mode. Mine doesn't.....and I hate it. I've talked to a dealer about putting the 'premium' shifter in it with manual mode and changing the ECM but it's gonna be over a grand and they aren't even sure exactly how to do it.

7. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    When y'all are dragging your pumkins(rearends) and power our in a mudhole. You WILL learn to spin your iron on and like it.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I can sell u some if ur interested :D

Rideandrepair and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The first spring I had the project truck. I wanted to start working on it but she was stuck in a snowback that was plowed in around it all winter. Spent like 2 hours digging it out and I couldn't get it out of the ruts. Spent another hour trying to get it out of the ruts. Finally got it out. I talked to the old man later that evening:

"Why didn't you throw some chains on it? There's 3 sets of triples hanging by the shop, right by where the truck was parked"

Facepalm. Didn't even know he still had chains kicking around.

10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I've always wondered if this would work with a big truck. I think getting a strap through the tiny holes in Alcoas would be the problem.

11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I would Definetally spring the cash to get it done... Its almost like having a manual transmission. I run in manual mode 99% of the time. I'll let it make the first shift coming off a stop, then pull it to manual and take over from there. And if loose traction at speed all I have to do is push the shifter to neutral for a couple seconds to straighten out, then slip it into drive long enough for it to select the right gear for the tire speed... Then it's back to manual mode... Works awesome once you play with it some... Not quite as much control as an actual manual... But mighty close.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.