truck terminals in LA for new drivers

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BigpopperRunner, Jun 19, 2019.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

LTL you barely do anything but drop and hook trailers. City or P&D (pickup & delivery) is going to 30 pickups a day and moving freight on/off the trailer. LTL usally pays a ton, and reuires mucho experience, while city pays above average and they often hire less experienced, maybe not inexperienced, drivers. Good luck and picking a first company is IMO the biggest decision you will make. Companies don't advertise " we hire anyone and pay peanuts" even though they do. I don't think I've ever seen an ad for a crappy company that doesn't claim their drivers ** average** 2500 miles per week and have great hometime. Ads are useless. Recruiters almost useless. Call or visit a company and ask to speak to drivers. Ask those drivers about whatever you want to know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigpopperRunner

BigpopperRunner Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    I been doing research for a few months now and yes I agree with you, the first company is going to be the biggest decision because I don't want to job hop, I want to do it for a year first and hopefully come back to specialize in something else haha. I been watching a lot of youtubers and using truckers report and even asking some of my friends who work for schneider, western express and CRST, some of them like it but some of them hate it.

4. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    That's all well and good but you are competing with guys and gals that actually paid their dues and stayed out for months or years and EARNED a local job. Now that freight is slowing, good luck getting a 65k job, home everyday right off the bat. It can happen but understand you are trying to jump in line in front of people who are waiting for on 5 home 2 days. It's not realistic in my opinion unless you don't mind doing food or beverage service 14 hours a day.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, 14 hour days plus commute time, doesn't leave much time at all for the family or for yourself.
    I tried it for awhile and have never been so exhausted and stressed in my life.

CK73 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  7. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    Understandable, I am already preparing my mind for OTR and work for about a year. My friend is an O/O and he knows a few places that operate under a 1099 form, under the table type deal. That's when I get one year of exp and he can get me a local job but I'm 50/50 with getting paid under the table, but we shall see. But as of now, I still think OTR is better than $15 an hr at an office job with a college degree and 40K in student loans lmaoooo.

8. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    I feel ya man, my work is 60 miles round trip and dealing with LA traffic during rush hour even not as a truck driver, I can feel your pain.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Dot Transportation, that I referenced earlier, has local/regional/OTR and a full benefits package.
    I'd put the 1099 under the table work, as a last resort.
    When you work as a 1099 employee, the liability is on you. If you have an accident, it's all on you because you're basically self-employed.

88 Alpha and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    You best leave that under the table stuff alone. First, will they confirm you were employed when it comes time to apply to a new job? Second, if you are on 1099 be sure to sock away 19.5% to cover your payroll taxes ON TOP of your normal withholding. File and pay your taxes quarterly.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. BigpopperRunner

Jan 10, 2019
    Thanks for the advice, I will take that into consideration.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.